PDA

View Full Version : Many Questions

AlterEgo
04-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Eyz

Okey, I'm new with Knoppix and I've got many, many questions and I hope someone can help me. Here are the Questions:

1. How can i install Knoppix on my HD?
2. How can i use MSN/ICQ?
3. How can i use my soundcard; Soundblaster Audigy Player?
4. Knoppix keeps asking a password, but i don't know what it is; where can i find it?
5. I've seen " su" many times on this forum, but what does it means?
6. How does Wine work?

TIA

MattT
04-12-2003, 03:47 PM
I will try to answer a few.

1. Go to K > KNOPPIX > Root Shell. Then type knx-hdinstall and follow the easy instructions. If you are currently using windows with only one partition you will have to find a way of resizing your partitions, hdinstall can't do that yet.

2. I don't use it and can't help you.

3. Your in luck. The very latest release of Knoppix has support for your sound card. At the Boot: prompt type knoppix alsa.

4. see 5

5. su means super user. In a hard drive install of Knoppix or most other Linux distros you can use this to act like root even when you are loged in as a normal user. Because Knoppix has no passwords on CD you have two ways around this. In a regular shell, ever time you want to do something as root type sudo and then the rest of the command all on one line. A better way is to go to k > KNOPPIX > Root Shell. Then you can do anything without a password.

6. I haven't use WINE enough to help you here.

Dave_Bechtel
04-12-2003, 07:35 PM
--MattT answered most of your other questions; to access MSN/ICQ you can try running ' gaim '. Can't help you with WINE.

Eyz

Okey, I'm new with Knoppix and I've got many, many questions and I hope someone can help me. Here are the Questions:

1. How can i install Knoppix on my HD?
2. How can i use MSN/ICQ?
3. How can i use my soundcard; Soundblaster Audigy Player?
4. Knoppix keeps asking a password, but i don't know what it is; where can i find it?
5. I've seen " su" many times on this forum, but what does it means?
6. How does Wine work?

TIA

AlterEgo
04-12-2003, 08:32 PM
thnx guys

AlterEgo
04-13-2003, 10:34 AM
I've got 2 Hard disks and i have on windows C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ and i want knoppix on E:/, how can i do that?

VeeDubb
04-13-2003, 10:35 AM
I will TRY to tackle the WINE question. As for "how it works" there's a lot of ways to answer that question. I'll start basic and if you need more, others may be more helpfull.

Basicaly, WINE is configured one of two ways. Either it uses an exsisting Windows partion to install and run windows programs, or it uses a "pretend" windows partition. It isn't realy an emulater like VMware, it just provides enough windows support that many non-graphics-intensive programs will run fine. You can iinstall office with it if you don't like any of the free office programs, though many are better than MS office and many other windows apps work fine.

To configure it, just try to run it and when you get an error message, just tell it to configure and walk through the dummy options.

Not realy sure what else you want to know.

Dave_Bechtel
04-13-2003, 09:41 PM
--Simple. Start\Run\command
' mkdir e:\knoppix '
' xcopy j:\knoppix\knoppix e:\knoppix ' == where J: is the CD
' J: '
' cd knoppix '
' mkfloppy ' == Make the 1.44 boot floppy

Remove the Knoppix CD, and Reboot with the Knoppix boot floppy in the drive. Detection will find Knoppix bigfile on E:, and /dev/hda3 (or hda6 if it's extended partition) will become /dev/cdrom. But if you have a cdburner, you can ' cdrecord -scanbus ' and still be able to use it. /dev/sr0 should be your actual cdrom access point.

I've got 2 Hard disks and i have on windows C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ and i want knoppix on E:/, how can i do that?