PDA

View Full Version : Status on overlay filesystem?

neuron
04-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Just curius what the current status on that is, I haven't used knoppix in quite long, but I figure the knoppix comunity would know.

The reason I ask is I built a livecd a few ages ago and built a highly experimental overlay system, if there arn't any good current ones I'd consider building a new one, I think I can do so relativly simple. And even support stuff like "overlaying" files that are already there (for example if you want to upgrade to a newer version of a piece of software, the old version would be on cd, if the newer overlay is mounted it'd use that to "overwrite" the old system).

Is there any interest for this?

UnderScore
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there any interest for this? Yes. It has been done officially in Knoppix 3.8.1, the lastest release. The Knoppix developers included UnionFS and have overlayed (via unionfs) a portion of the ramdisk on top of the / of the Knoppix CD, thus we now have "write access" what was once a read-only CDR. Search the forums for unionfs to learn more about unionfs in knoppix and/or use google to read up on unionfs.

I hope this helps.
James