PDA

View Full Version : paging file woes

ghetek
04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I installed knoppix 3.8 on a system and then tried to do the klaus script to remaster an ISO. unfortunately i forgot that the HD space on teh machine was limited (its kinda like a thin client) so it tried to make a paging file and it just fiulled the HD. now i boot but there isnt enough space anywhere to do anything so it gives me a weirdo shell that isnt too user friendly. how can i kill that partial paging file? any takers? I tried swapoff -a and it says im not a superuser, so i went out ona limb and tried "sudo swapoff -a" (i dont know a thing about linux). i want to keep that installation b/c it is perfect and it took me a long time to tailor (i was going to just mirror it over to the rest of the machines, we are moving off of windows and onto linux.)

UnderScore
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I installed knoppix 3.8 on a system and then tried to do the klaus script to remaster an ISO. What is the Knoppix version you are using? There is one release called Knoppix 3.8 Cebit Edition and there is another called Knoppix 3.8.1. Furthermore, what scripts or HOWTO documents are you using? There is no way we can help you if we do not know what steps you have been following.

unfortunately i forgot that the HD space on teh machine was limited (its kinda like a thin client) so it tried to make a paging file and it just fiulled the HD. now i boot but there isnt enough space anywhere to do anything so it gives me a weirdo shell that isnt too user friendly. how can i kill that partial paging file? any takers? Again, please refer via a link or a copy & paste to the instructions you have been using so that we might help you.

I tried swapoff -a and it says im not a superuser, so i went out ona limb and tried "sudo swapoff -a" (i dont know a thing about linux). i want to keep that installation b/c it is perfect and it took me a long time to tailor (i was going to just mirror it over to the rest of the machines, we are moving off of windows and onto linux.) Using sudo is the right way to run a command if it first gives you permissions issues.

Please provide us with more info on your situation. Some example questions that I hope you can answer for us.
We will need the machine specifications. You mentioned this machine is a thin client. Does it have a hard drive? If so how big is the HD? How is it partitioned? What is on the HD? What HOWTO documents or guides have you been using? You mentioned that you do not know much about linux but have made it this far? You have a co-worked or friend that is helping you? Does this person know linux or are they also new to linux?

I hope this helps.
James

ghetek
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Sorry, I am alone in this endeavor. I am running an installation on a hard drive that i put on there via the "knoppix-installer" command. the hard drive was partitioned to be very small as well as the swap (dont know exact specs) but i do know that there was only about 250 megs of space open and the paging file that the script was trying to make was like 700 megs. so it filled it. I just want to know how to use that shell to find the file (its got to be over 100 megs, can i search by file size somehow without kde?) and how to delete that file. the system is a p3 coppermine 700mhz, 192mb ram, there is a small hd. all hardware autoconfigures fine.