PDA

View Full Version : starting second x-server session...

roberto
12-25-2002, 09:49 PM
thx for all the re-mastering support. i have made a new knoppix cd with programs that test system memory and hard drives, also including anti-virus software. i use this cd EVERDAY at work fixing M$ OS's and diagnosing computer problems. im not a fan of using dpkg or the other command line/ dos like shells. also i am using a machine not connected to internet. i am installing *.deb packages from a local hard drive, and would like to use kpackage. i am wondering if one would be able to start another kde session while chrooted in the remaster process?? this would allow me to graphically add packages and to mount / umount drive letters = (saving me some time as i have 7 hard drives each containing different packages and data.)

Also to make note. when i booted off the cd to remaster it i have to load a scsi module... now after i remastered the cd the new cd tries to load that same module even if the hardware is not present. its the aic7xxx module and it hangs the boot on some laptops... toshiba satellite etc. any answeres would be helpful. oh and im running a P-III 866, 512MB pc133 ram, 120 GB of HD 7 drives half scsi and half ATA-100, cd-rw and cd-rom, 128MB USB thumbdisk / disk-on-key, USB LS-240, nvidia geforce 2 MX, and a creative labs 4.1 S/C, Everything works great except for the speed of the scsi (i have an adaptec scs 160/mbps scsi 3 card but it only runs at 40.000 mbps :cry: ) thx for reading all of this. i am actually quite new to linux and LOVE IT!

JetCowBoB
01-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey Roberto-
Im not a big fan of doing all the dpkg syntax for package installation either. But, I wouldnt use the graphical package manager either regardless. Personally, I would download a full Debian CD image (since you arent on the net), add your CD's to the sources.list for apt-get, and use the apt utilities. apt-get is awesome. "apt-get install [package name]" is as simple as it gets. I would add all the possible hard drives/ CD drives you could possibly end up using to /etc/fstab and make a script for an mounting and an apt-get of all the packages you might need.

Im not sure about your SCSI driver with the aic7xxx... but i get a slight hang with that one myself for my scsi card.

hope thats helpful -Matt

cristina
02-05-2003, 10:47 AM
To start another X-session, you can modify the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
put this line
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1
below
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0

then in the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, make a copy of the settings for display 0 for display 1
DisplayManager._1.authorize: true
DisplayManager._1.setup: /etc/x11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._1.startup: /etc/x11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._1.reset: /etc/x11/xdm/TakeConsole

instead of
#startx
use
#startx --:1
to start the X-session

:P

John
02-06-2003, 11:27 PM
oops...

roberto
03-28-2003, 04:15 AM
wow forgot to thank you for the answers... well i have since been off onto better more fun things but i think i might include that second to last post in the users guide i have taken to building... keep posted and have fun...

toast