PDA

View Full Version : Error when installing Knoppix on HD

Mogiin
04-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I got Knoppix 3.2 Beta,

When the installer copies the files to the harddisk I see , after 22% , in the process bar a message about an interrupt IRQ 7? And after 74% the screen goes black.

The installation is still busy. After 3 or 4 minutes I hear a beep when I press a button on the keyboard I see on the screen that the installation is complete....

Very weird installation , is this normal? Can someone help me?

I don't get an IRQ error and a black screen when I am installing SuSE 8.0

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 07:02 PM
I got Knoppix 3.2 Beta,

When the installer copies the files to the harddisk I see , after 22% , in the process bar a message about an interrupt IRQ 7? And after 74% the screen goes black.

Not good- What is the date of the release? Some 3.2 releases had some install script bugs. What file system are you using? I know that there have been problems using xfs & reiser. ext3 should work fine though.

The installation is still busy. After 3 or 4 minutes I hear a beep when I press a button on the keyboard I see on the screen that the installation is complete....

Very weird installation , is this normal?
No not at all normal.

Can someone help me?

When you boot the Knoppix cd does everything work OK?
Look at dmesg and cat /proc/pci to check for any IRQ conflicts.
I don't get an IRQ error and a black screen when I am installing SuSE 8.0[/quote]

Mogiin
04-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Yes , when I boot from cd everything works fine. I got version:

Knoppix V3.2

2003-03-28-beta (is this the latest version?)

I use ext2 file system.

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Yes , when I boot from cd everything works fine. I got version:

Knoppix V3.2

2003-03-28-beta (is this the latest version?)

No I believe 04-10 is the latest

I use ext2 file system.
That doesn't sound like the problem then. I would however reccomend using ext3 because it doesn't fragment. If you crash your system or shut down improperly you won't have to wait while fsck runs. With ext3 the file system is check every 30 mounts instead.

I have never heard of anyone having a properly working system if during the install there were errors. I would try the latest release, make sure you check the md5 sum, and boot with 'testcd' cheat code just to be safe. Look in cat /proc/pci and dmesg to make sure there are no IRQ conflicts-of course make sure everthing works as usual and then I would reinstall. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh? At least installing doesn't take too long.

Mogiin
04-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Thnx for your help :)

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Sure- anytime. Let us know if you get it fixed or if you need some more assistance.

Mogiin
04-13-2003, 11:25 AM
I tried Knoppix on my second computer. I don't see any IRQ error at the installation , but after a while the screen goes black. Two times , every 15 minutes I think , is this a screensaver or something? When I press a button on the keyboard everything is normal again...

How can I turn off the screensaver and monitor energy
settings?

When I boot Knoppix from the harddisk , I see the IRQ error in the console. It is the same error I get on my other computer when I am installing Knoppix on the harddisk.

One more question :wink: , the Knoppix installation is complete when the process bar is at 74 % , is this correct?

rickenbacherus
04-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I tried Knoppix on my second computer. I don't see any IRQ error at the installation , but after a while the screen goes black. Two times , every 15 minutes I think , is this a screensaver or something? When I press a button on the keyboard everything is normal again...
How can I turn off the screensaver and monitor energy
settings?

Yep- sounds like a screen saver and your screen saver is set to "blank screen" Open the Control Center>Appearance>ScreenSaver to change it. PowerControl is also in the Control Center

When I boot Knoppix from the harddisk , I see the IRQ error in the console. It is the same error I get on my other computer when I am installing Knoppix on the harddisk.

What exactly do you mean "in the console" ? If you get the same error on two different machines (I assume they are not identical) I would suspect the cd. It is possible to have a functioning cd even though it isn't quite complete.

One more question :wink: , the Knoppix installation is complete when the process bar is at 74 % , is this correct?

No not normal at all. Given the number of problems you've had I would get the latest release, burn the .iso and try a new disc out. Make sure you check the md5sum and boot with 'knoppix testcd' just to be absolutley certain all is well.

Mogiin
04-13-2003, 07:35 PM
With the console I mean the black screen with the white letters :D

I am going to try the newest version. Maybe that will fix the little problems.

rickenbacherus
04-14-2003, 12:43 AM
With the console I mean the black screen with the white letters :D

Well of course. :D What i mean is what did you enter in the console that gave you this information? As great of an OS as linux is unfortunately it isn't yet capable of reading minds. ;)

Mogiin
04-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I entered nothing in the console. When I start Linux and I see the black screen with white letters :D , I see the error very fast.

Well I am going to try the latest version , maybe it's fixed in that version.

I don't have this problem with SuSE 8.0 , it must be a little bug I think.