PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 : Hotplug doesn't hot plug USB thumb drive

fyp
04-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. Thanks.

I'm using Knoppix 3.8.1 Live CD. When I plug in my USB thumb drive, it seems that hotplug doesn't detect it. No icon appears on the desktop. usbview and lsusb are able to detect my thumb drive. However, the red LED on my thumb drive is not lighted up.

lsusb shows :

Bus 002 Device 012: ID 0ea0:2168 Ours Technology, Inc. Transcend JetFlash 2.0
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

*EDIT: fstab doesn't have a usb entry either. *

Anybody knows how to mount my USB thumb drive? Thanks.

rolfhub
04-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Well you could try to mount it manually:
syntax is (minimal):
mount [devicename] [directory]
for [directoy] you can use anything you like, the devicename is fix, and depends on what hardware is present, for example I can mount my USB-MP3/WMA-Player with

mount /dev/sdb .

The devicename here is /dev/sdb, which is a sensible device name when using the 2.4 kernel, but I think the device would be called /dev/ubb (replacing "sd" with "ub") with kernel 2.6. The last letter depends on what other devices are present, so you just could try

mount /dev/uba .
mount /dev/ubb .
mount /dev/ubc .

and so on until you have success (no message in return means success).

One final thing: The above is true if your drive is formated in "super-floppy-style" (which means that a (exacly one) file system is written directly to to drive without any partition table. If the drive is formated like a hard disk, you have to append the partition number (starting with "1") to the device name, so you could also try

mount /dev/uba1 .
mount /dev/ubb1 .
mount /dev/ubc1 .

etc.

Later on just unmount with the umount command (which just needs the device name).

Of course you have to be in the directoy you want to mount to (if you just specify "." as the directoy name).

xerces8
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Knoppix v3.8.1 has some problems with USB devices.
Try v3.7 (with 2.4 kernel, the 2.6 kernel has the same problems as knoppix 3.8.1).

fyp
05-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Well you could try to mount it manually:
syntax is (minimal):
mount [devicename] [directory]
for [directoy] you can use anything you like, the devicename is fix, and depends on what hardware is present, for example I can mount my USB-MP3/WMA-Player with
[code]
mount /dev/sdb .

Later on just unmount with the umount command (which just needs the device name).

Of course you have to be in the directoy you want to mount to (if you just specify "." as the directoy name).

I got the error message "____ is not a valid block device".

Knoppix v3.8.1 has some problems with USB devices.
Try v3.7 (with 2.4 kernel, the 2.6 kernel has the same problems as knoppix 3.8.1).

I've downloaded 3.7 and the USB thumbdrive hotplugs successfully. However there is a problem with emu10k1 and there is no sound. :( That is for another thread though.

rolfhub
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
You could try Kanotix (http://kanotix.com/info/index.php), I did, and I like it quite much. It's based on Knoppix technology, but modified in quite some ways (I don't know the exact details, but I like it much, because it detects all my hardware on both PCs I tried it with). If you know Knoppix, you will feel at home instantly, because it is so similar to use.