PDA

View Full Version : Monitor/PC go into standby mode after a few minutes...

MasterRyu
04-27-2005, 04:01 PM
I recently updated the power supply in my HP a220n computer from the stock 250W to a more powerful 350W Mad Dog Multimedia SurePower power supply(350W nominal usage - 400W max) to ensure that a second hard drive added would have sufficient power. Windows detects the power supply fine, and shuts down/goes into standby mode and returns from it normally + has operated fine for some time, but for some reason Knoppix won't. It detects my hardware fine and everything, but after a small time using knoppix, the monitor displays the "entering power saving mode" message and goes into it's standby state - a state which cannot be returned from in Knoppix, forcing me to do a manual reboot. Has anybody else had this problem? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and I apologize if this post is excessively "n00bish", I am just starting out with Linux. Thanks for your time.

--EDIT--
Assuming anybody is actually reading this, you are probably tired of all the edits...but I am at my wits end. I have tried several different LiveCD distributions, ByzantineOS, Gentoo, etc., and all manner of command line codes, and all it gets me is maybe 30 or 45 seconds in the desktop before this !@#!@#!@# monitor claims the PC is going into standby mode (even though the power LED is not flashing, and the CD drive still shows activity, so I know the PC is still running normally), I really don't want to have to take this power supply out just to run Knoppix, it works fine with Windows, as does the monitor, and changing BIOS settings hasn't done anything. Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated. Is there anybody else on this forum that has the Pavilion mx703 monitor and has overcome this problem? ARRRRGH!!!

--EDIT--
Ran the command-line option "screen=800x600", the Knoppix screen came up for about 3 seconds before the monitor went into endless power saving mode again. This is very frustrating, and illogical, as this monitor and video card worked fine before with the less powerful and defective stock power supply.

--EDIT--
Tried Knoppix 3.8.1 - same deal, have tried all manner of command-line options to no avail, changing monitor refresh rate, graphics mode, even failsafe mode failed to fix the problem - I even disabled APIC and such in the BIOS with no effect, is this just something with Knoppix not liking HP computers with non-stock components? As stated previously, Knoppix worked fine before with the stock power supply (which was later found to be defective - wasn't providing full power)

My Specs:

HP a220n with HP Pavilion mx703 monitor
MadDog Multimedia SurePower 350W(400W max) power supply (works fine in Windows)

Athlon XP 2600+
768MB RAM
PNY GeForce FX5200 on Pavilion mx703 monitor
120GB 5400 RPM Seagate HD (Primary Channel Master)
160GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HD (Primary Channel Slave)
JLMS DVD-ROM Drive
MadDog Multimedia 16x Double Layer DVD/CD burner (16XDVD9A2)

--EDIT--
I ran the command line options "noacpi" and "noapm" which caused the monitor to go into endless standby right where it would normally load the Knoppix loading screen, then restarted and tried running it normally once again for the hell of it, and now it won't even boot normally...sees all devices, and just before the Knoppix screen comes up, monitor goes into endless standby. I am positive this is not a monitor issue, as it worked fine with my monitor (HP Pavilion mx703) when the stock power supply was in. I have tested this new power supply with a tester, everything is fine, actually, the old power supply wasn't giving the correct power level.

adirad
05-08-2005, 04:50 AM
I have the same problem. i wanna figure out whats wrong. i wish i could help but i'm in the same position

MasterRyu
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
That's OK, at least you took the time to reply to this post, and I know I'm not the only one having this problem. In addition to the new power supply, we had added a 160GB WD hard drive, and a DL MadDog DVD burner. It must be something with our power supply, because the first time booting into Linux after adding the new components, it worked fine (if only for like 10 mins before going into standby). The second time it worked ok (albeit for a shorter time), I tried changing power settings in Linux, to no avail. After that, for some reason, it wouldn't even show the OS loading screen, got to the point where the monitor usually clicks and shows the OS component loading screen, and then goes into standby. The new power supply was tested, and everything is fine - in fact, the stock power supply was not giving the full voltage, and that worked! It is definitly not the monitor because it worked fine with the old power supply. I tried using the latest Knoppix version, and the same thing happens.

buttonhead
05-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi, I had the same problem with the monitor going into standby during boot. I got this from another board to enter this at boot:
knoppix hsync=65 vxync=65

And it worked!!!! I hope this will work on yours. good luck.

MasterRyu
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I am pretty sure that it's not the monitor now, because I hauled up an older Dell monitor from the basement, and although it did work ok for like 10 minutes, it then clicked into standby mode. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will have to try that.

Namisar
05-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi, I had the same problem with the monitor going into standby during boot. I got this from another board to enter this at boot:
knoppix hsync=65 vxync=65

And it worked!!!! I hope this will work on yours. good luck.

AHA! Yes I had the same problem and this worked but for those of you reading this it is actually:

knoppix hsync=65 vsync=65

The "x" in his post is a typo. Thanks Buttonhead,

buttonhead
05-11-2005, 08:40 PM
yeah it's "vsync" not "vxync", thanks for catching that!

My monitor is about 8 years old, computer is an old amd 300, 192 ram 20 gig with cheap onboard video and sound. knoppix runs fine on it, and have monitor has not gone into standby since implementing that line at boot.

MasterRyu
05-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I would use that, but I don't think my monitor supports a refresh of 65hz, it supports 60,70,85 and up, but I don't want to damage if by setting it incorrectly. The monitor is an HP Pavilion mx703 BTW.

buttonhead
05-12-2005, 12:11 AM
It shouldn't ruin your monitor. Or try "xvrefresh=60" at boot for a peace of mind.

MasterRyu
05-12-2005, 02:54 AM
nope...no deal, neither of the codes worked....still the same thing. I am about ready to say !@#!@# Knoppix, this is really aggravating, especially since it worked fine with the stock defective power supply, and I have not updated the Video BIOS or anything since. Clearly my video card itself isn't damaged, as everything works absolutely fine in Windows XP. I even went into the BIOS and disabled the power options...I really don't know what's left, clearly, command line options aren't going to do diddly, and I know the CD is fine, as it works fine in another computer. Thanks for the help.