PDA

View Full Version : Audio output redirect?

Aphex_Twin
04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Can one redirect the audio output towards a diferent port? My Windows outputs sound to "Speaker Out", while Knoppix uses the "Line in" (I have to change the plug each time I switch between the two). I can see you can change the recording input port, but why not the sound output?

As a secodary question, is it possible to redirect outputs and inputs of other particular devices?

Aphex_Twin
04-27-2005, 08:53 PM
In case the above text does not show:

Can one redirect the audio output towards a diferent port?
My Windows outputs sound to "Speaker Out", while Knoppix
uses the "Line in" (I have to change the plug each time
I switch between the two). I can see you can change the
recording input port, but why not the sound output?

As a secodary question, is it possible to redirect outputs
and inputs of other particular devices?

Aphex_Twin
04-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Does nobody have a clue about this? :?

Harry Kuhman
04-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Does nobody have a clue about this? :?
You above text is confused. No software can make audio come out of a line that is built to be a hardware input.

Aphex_Twin
04-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Oh, I didn't take a closer look at the small print near the audio plugs.
I was used to the "Microphone" "Spk Out" and "Line In" configuration.
Well, this current computer has a microphope input and two outputs.
Windows uses one and Linux the other? Why is it so?
And how can I change it?

UnderScore
04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
There is no 1 easy answer to this question. You will probably need to use a ALSA and JACK utility to "rewire" the sound to the desired output. See the screen shots http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/qjackctl-ss1.html, specifically this one http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/image/qjackctlPatchbayForm1.png.
I hope this helps.
James

FlameWeasel
07-21-2011, 12:54 AM
You above text is confused. No software can make audio come out of a line that is built to be a hardware input.
Actually, he is exactly correct -- even today. Knoppix has some sort of royally f*cked up driver that OUTPUTS sound through the INPUT (microphone in) jack.

Anyone who has used Knoppix for audio should know this. It was that way in 2005, and, as I am finding out today when trying to save some audio from a YouTube video, it is still that way today. Nothing whatsoever comes out from the AUDIO-OUT jack (except maybe a little hiss).

Unfortunately, the output through the MIC IN jack is so soft that my recorder cannot pick it up, even though it is hardwired in. I've maxed out the outputs in "alsamixer".

Time to download Ubuntu, I guess, 'cause for damn sure nobody's going to be able to tell me how to fix this today.

kl522
07-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately nobody is going to be in the slightest concern (of losing a user) if you go to download Ubuntu and start using it. On the hand if you eventually find it more useful and stick to it, we will be happy for you. The thing is Knoppix user based are too few and the developer is not even frequenting this forum, so this is what you would expect. If you really need attention, I suggest you post it to debian-knoppix maillist.

Technically I haven't noticed the sound would come out from the wrong port. But I do notice some versions of kernel (alsa drivers) do have problem with speaker jack. With internal speakers it is working but when the speaker jack is plugged, it is mute. But I think those are history. If you use a kernel recent enough, I believe it will not have this problem.