PDA

View Full Version : Serial ATA HD Issue

smitstain
04-28-2005, 02:59 AM
Hello,

I'm using knoppix 3.4 off cd to recover files off my hd. I was running windows xp, which crashed on me... go figure. Since I can't get windows to run, my plan was to run knoppix, back up all my important files on dvd, and start from scratch. Come to find out that apparently there are some compatability issues with serial ata hd's. What do I need to do to get access to my hd? Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks,
Matt

sd5867
04-29-2005, 05:42 AM
I would recommend using Knoppix 3.8.1, it has better hardware support, and I know that it will see some SATA drives, and be able to access them. However this is going to require that you use another computer, as I don't know if it is possible to d/l the @600 mb file and burn it from the live CD.

SD

Harry Kuhman
04-29-2005, 06:05 AM
.... However this is going to require that you use another computer, as I don't know if it is possible to d/l the @600 mb file and burn it from the live CD.
You can't burn a CD from Knoppix when you boot from the Live CD if you have only one CD or DVD drive, unless you have have enough memory to load the entire CD into memory with the "toram" cheat code. As an alternative you might be able to use a smaller Live CD distro (like DSL) that will also burn a CD and will let you load it toram with far less ram. But many of these distros may not support SATA yet.

sakiZ
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
What is the earliest version of Knoppix that supports SATA?

I'm using v. 3.7 HD drive install.

If there is SATA support for this version, I'd start looking into what hardware I could use.

sakiZ

UnderScore
06-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Here is a page that details SATA in regards to the linux kernel http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html