PDA

View Full Version : WHY CAN'T EVERYONE MAKE BOOTING THIS SIMPLE ?

raviji7
04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I think EVERY distro should do what SLAX has done! ! ! !

I can literally boot to SLAX from my laptop with 3 dos commands.

After booting from a dos floppy that automatically loads drivers for my PCMCIA cd-rom drive, generic USB drivers to boot to my USB pen drives and USB CD-ROM drives and drivers to boot to my parallel port microsolutions backpack cd-rom drive. Then all I do is type THREE SIMPLE COMMANDS to run the .bat file on the SLAX CD or from my USB flash/pen drive.

1) A:\> D:
2) D:\> cd dos
3) D:\DOS> linux.bat

AND SLAX BOOTS !! ! !

Why cant ALL Distros place a linux.bat file that lets you boot the Live/Install CD right from DOS using LOADLIN. The loadlin, linux.bat and config file all just add take up ONLY 35KB. You can easily add this to ANY
CD no matter how MAXed out it may be.

This is REALLY REALLY REALLY helpful for people you who cannot boot from CD-ROM or USB Pen Drives,

And one NEVER has to worry about the the kernel getting too big to fit on a floppy
because ALL you need is ONE boot floppy with DOS and some DOS drivers that gives you access to those non-bootable drives and then you just have to run the LINUX.BAT file - SOOOOO EASY.

NO MORE POOR MAN'S INSTALL or using 25 floppies or having EXTRA drivers or doing NET installs ! ! ! ! ! ! !

ICPUG
04-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Raviji,

Agree that what you suggest is good. However, here are 2 reasons why PMI is even better.

You cannot do your approach on an NTFS machine without a floppy drive (like my laptop)

You have to type - and typing leaves the possibility of mistyping!

Different people have different needs, so it is a good job there is more than one way of doing things.

ICPUG

y23
06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
knoppix (with kernel 2.4.x) is the same.

just put the KNOPPIX files and vmlinuz and minirt... into

c:\knoppix

then start

loadlin linux24 root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt24.gz

and voila!

Does ANYONE know how to boot from DOS with kernel 2.6?

pleeeeaasse?