PDA

View Full Version : Basic Install Help Needed

tilleyrw
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
The best way to answer my many questions is by asking "Is it possible to boot the Knoppix 3.8.1 LiveCD and perform a Linux install such that a reboot is not required?" This can be refined by adding "After a 'knoppix-installer' session of installing to /dev/hda1, can I transfer control to the computer (/dev/hda1) so that everything will run from the Hard Disk and not the CD?" The CD is the speed bottleneck of a LiveCD system.

After installing Knoppix 3.8.1 via the 'knoppix-installer' script, I needed to modify /etc/lilo.conf to add "acpi=off" to the boot string.

Not knowing how to edit hda1:/etc/lilo.conf, I simply rebooted. As is noted elsewhere on this forum, my PS2 mouse was not installed since "acpi=off" had not been added to the lilo.conf boot string. The Knoppix CD creates a virtual filesystem. Where is the partition (hda1) to which it installed the new system?

How can I edit the file hda1:/etc/lilo.conf and not a virtual copy? I need to edit the actual file on hda1 so that when I reboot, 'acpi=off' is read from the new file at hda1:/etc/lilo.conf.

Thanks, Bob

fingers99
04-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Try this:

boot using the CD. Mount wherever you put Knoppix read write.

Pop open a System>More Programs>File Manager Super User Mode.

Navigate to /etc/lilo.conf and edit it and save it.

Unmount the Knoppix partition.

Exit

Reboot.

tdjokic
04-30-2005, 04:27 AM
I answerd to tilleyrw in other topic about LILO. Your answer fingers99 is OK, but boot don't use new lilo.conf file if you did not perform LILO command from terminal, as root.

fingers99
04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I answerd to tilleyrw in other topic about LILO. Your answer fingers99 is OK, but boot don't use new lilo.conf file if you did not perform LILO command from terminal, as root.

tdhokic is right.

You need to do

sudo /sbin/lilo

to write the revised lilo.conf (you could give the full path, if you're worried about using the wrong version, but it's always worked for me)

How's Boban Markovic, tdjokic?