PDA

View Full Version : dangerous toys olny for root

maxIT
04-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm talking about Xvidtune, an app that can cause permanent hardware damages. My hope is that in next knoppix relases it will be ask for root privileges before running an app like that.
This is a very wandering mine in a multiuser box :!:

tr
08-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm talking about Xvidtune, an app that can cause permanent hardware damages. My hope is that in next knoppix relases it will be ask for root privileges before running an app like that.
This is a very wandering mine in a multiuser box :!:

It is true that in a multiuser box only necessary programs should be installed to run Linux (Linux kiosk).

But xvidtune is a good tool for Knoppix user and should not be removed. On the other hand, giving root's password does not profit anything because it is so easy thing to type 'passwd root' in a virtual console and give a new password to root.

My suggestion is that in multiuser systems only remastered versions of Knoppix should be used without dangerous programs.

-tapsa-

maxIT
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi tr,
I think you're right, and that is, I need something like in kiosk mode.

As follow what you say I think that it isn't a Knoppix-distro issue, but maybe an app itself issue. I've noticed as example that qtparted has the same xvidtune rights in knoppix, "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root". But even having 'others' the execute permission qtparted ask me simple non_root user for root passwd while xvidtune no. Isn't a general unix/linux policy that only root can manage hardware settings?

best regards, max.