PDA

View Full Version : swapping hard disks between 2 boxes

masticate
04-30-2005, 10:27 PM
i have 2 boxes running knoppix 3.7 do not ask why i did this or need to as there is a reason (networking probs) but i took the hd from one and put it in the other. it would boot in to linux but if i tried to start a x session i would get an error message

is there a way round with out reformatting disk (has important info on it!!)

cheers m

eon
04-30-2005, 11:15 PM
I would probably be helpful to know what the xserver error message was.
If these two different computers have different video cards, needing different drivers-assuming mouse and keyborad are the same-then that's the problem.
You would need to configure x for the video card on the computer you've switched the drive to.

fingers99
05-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Let's hope it's only the video which is different, but assuming so, run xf86config or xf86cfg to set it up. It's helpful to have as much detail as possible when you do this......

Someone did suggest that you can force the original autodetection to run again by deleting one of the files and rebooting: you may like to search for that.

CrashedAgain
05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Let's hope it's only the video which is different, but assuming so, run xf86config or xf86cfg to set it up. It's helpful to have as much detail as possible when you do this......

Someone did suggest that you can force the original autodetection to run again by deleting one of the files and rebooting: you may like to search for that.

'mkxf86config' is the command to make a new xf86config-4 file but it will only make one if there is no existing file so you have to delete /etc/X11/XF86config-4 first.

If masticate has done a knoppix type hd install *most* of the hardware autodetection will be taken care of but not x-config because the XF86Config-4 does not get deleted after each boot like it does on the CD.