PDA

View Full Version : Why is Knoppix able to clue-in to ethernet connection and ot

pterandon
05-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Hello. I've used ubuntu and now Agnula, both also Debian-based systems like Knoppix.

I'm a totaly n00b who'll be happy with something like Agnula (or maybe Paipix) once I get my internet connections going-- eventually to wireless.

But it's really bugging me that with complete HDD installs each of ubuntu and Agnula, they cannot clue-in to the ethernet connection the way that Knoppix and 2-3 other live CD Linux distros I've tried. Someone gave me some magic words to type to get ubuntu to find the ethernet internet connection, but upon reboot it was clueless again. The next time I sat at PC, I tried Agnula, but got the same deal....

I'm not asking here for technical advice on fixing a problem, but rather advice on picking a distro. Are any quite as bright as Knoppix when it comes to hardware detection?

OErjan
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
actually you should just have to reconfigure your networksettings as root. i guess you use dhcp so you need to start pump. depending on distro things are slightly diferent as to how you set things up to do that automagically.