PDA

View Full Version : FoolProof PC

LOTL
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I just got a call from a client who's daughter is mentally and psychically impaired.
I have been to the house numerous times to clean up virus's and spyware infections, reformatted and reinstalled windows once.
I have set her up as a limited user, installed spyware guard and spyware blaster, installed zone alarm, made sure new self updating AV software was installed and working.
Even with all this she is able to click on something or gets some message or file sent through AIM that reinfects her PC. AIM is not the sole source of the reinfections though as she pretty much clicks on whatever pops up.
Her mother was sick of having to deal with the limited user issues and just gave her the password to the administrators account. With the help of her AIM buddies she was dangerous enough to set herself backup as an Admin.
So to make a long story short im looking for ideas as to how to foolproof her PC and still allow her to chat with her AIM buddies.
Im considering trying Knoppix along with GAIM as a replacement for AIM. Her main uses are for communicating with her friends and other people with MS.
I have used a knoppix CD for virus scanning and while it is somewhat slow for some applications and limited in other ways im thinking it may be a viable alternative.

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

OErjan
05-02-2005, 04:53 PM
full Debian Sarge setup with X, kde, openoffice, gaim...
the advantage is that apt-get update/upgade can be set as a cronjob and be steered to security patches...
another benefit would be propper security as far as user managment... goes, in knoppix you just do sudo su to become root/admin.
here is a posting wiht more on locking down knoppix.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9905

there in the begining i talk about instaling bare minimum, that is still valid.
just to give an hint as to what is needed, i have a 122Mb install that i frequently use to mail. ftp, surf the web, instant messaging (ICQ,MSN...).
granted it is not pretty (console only). but it works and gets the job done.

if you skip KDE and GNOME (gaim is possible to get working without gnome installed)... use icewm instead for example and install bare esentials and be strict in securing the install not much should be possible to wreck.
but as there are ALWAYS ways around security... you should plan for making speedy recoveries.

you could use dd to make a image of root-partition of the install (dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/home/user/backup.img)
If you make the / partition 600Mb (you should be able to fit everything needed on 500M or so so) and then include a backup copy of her /home/user partition (separate partition is to prefer as you then can wipe the / partition and she stil has her files... intact) just be certain to do it AFTER after the setup of gaim, mailaccount... (to preserve the settings).
all the config files in her /home/user and the image of entire / should fit one 700Mb CD with plenty space over.
now it should take a VERY short time to restore computer to where it was. just dd the image back over the / partition (dd if=/mnt/cdrom/backup.img of=/dev/hdXY) and copy the configfiles to her /home/user (only if you have removed them or she is having trouble), next you do a apt-get update&&apt-get upgrade and you are set.
but as i said read more on the link and keep asking.