PDA

View Full Version : adding path

roustabout
05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
hi,

i am a newbie to knoppix

These are the instructions to be carried out in red hat linux. how can this be done in knoppix.
Do u have to open bashrc file to do this? I see the command is different from the red hat.

9. Put /root/ns/ns-allinone-2.27/bin into your PATH environment by editing the .bash_profile at root directory by typing: gedit .bash_profile
10. You will most like encounter a line: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:
11. Add in your path for ns2 to the above line: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/root/ns/ns-allinone-2.27/bin:
12. You are ready to run ns2.

Please help me. thank you

eon
05-03-2005, 07:20 AM
You can type "less .bash_profile" in a shell to see what that file looks like and if you have it.
I don't think knoppix comes with gedit-does it? I'm not in knoppix right now.
I seem to edit bashrc, xinitrc, and profile files all the time in osx darwin but not linux.
Anyway it is possible to do this without editing the file by typing the line you supplied
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/root/ns/ns-allinone-2.27/bin: <enter>
and then issuing "export PATH" <enter> That's only suppose to last for the time that terminal is open.
Probably editing the file with a text editor that you have practiced on will work best for you.
Take a look at kedit.

Dave_Bechtel
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
" jstar " is the editor I use, and IIRC it's on the CD. Text-based and wordstar key bindings.

hi,

i am a newbie to knoppix

These are the instructions to be carried out in red hat linux. how can this be done in knoppix.
Do u have to open bashrc file to do this? I see the command is different from the red hat.

9. Put /root/ns/ns-allinone-2.27/bin into your PATH environment by editing the .bash_profile at root directory by typing: gedit .bash_profile
10. You will most like encounter a line: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:
11. Add in your path for ns2 to the above line: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/root/ns/ns-allinone-2.27/bin:
12. You are ready to run ns2.

Please help me. thank you

roustabout
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
hi,

in the terminal write:
PATH="/home/knoppix/ns/ns-allinone-2.28/bin" <enter>
export path <enter>

but this is only temporary afte i closed the shell for that particular session and start a new shell. I have to retype it again. How can i make it permanent?

thank youi

Dave_Bechtel
05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
' jstar .bash_profile '

roustabout
05-07-2005, 03:05 AM
For detail instruction follow the url betllow

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19766&highlight=&sid=8ec8c9a265965f15a3b6a2ddf38fcd92