PDA

View Full Version : DHCP wrong ip

Lan_man
05-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Im using a new belkin 802.11 b/g Nic and for some reason the other day my computer just refused to allow me access to the internet or the network in general. So i sat down and looked through all the seting and discovered that DHCP was assigning me a 169 ip address. My normal configuration for it is 192.168.1.1 and the router has a 192.168.1.2, so i did a ping on the router and it refused to accept and declared "host unreachable". but earlyer that day i had been on the network without any problems. The network isnt real relyable it drops me once ever 3 hours (average). im running xp sp2 on all my systems on trhe network including the one connected to the router so normaly all i have to do is tell my computer to do a repair and it fixes the problem for a while and then it drops out again. Iv tryed every thing i can think of to fix the problem i even set the ip address subnet mask adn all that manualy and that allowed me access to the network but i still cant access the internet. we tryed the network using a my laptop and 802.11 b/g nic adn it could access the network and the internet fine.

Harry Kuhman
05-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Im using a new belkin 802.11 b/g Nic and for some reason the other day my computer just refused to allow me access to the internet or the network in general. So i sat down and looked through all the seting and discovered that DHCP was assigning me a 169 ip address. My normal configuration for it is 192.168.1.1 and the router has a 192.168.1.2, so i did a ping on the router and it refused to accept and declared "host unreachable". but earlyer that day i had been on the network without any problems. The network isnt real relyable it drops me once ever 3 hours (average). im running xp sp2 on all my systems on trhe network including the one connected to the router so normaly all i have to do is tell my computer to do a repair and it fixes the problem for a while and then it drops out again. Iv tryed every thing i can think of to fix the problem i even set the ip address subnet mask adn all that manualy and that allowed me access to the network but i still cant access the internet. we tryed the network using a my laptop and 802.11 b/g nic adn it could access the network and the internet fine.

Is this a Knoppix problem or a WinXP SP2 problem?

Is the computer in question connecting wirelessly or wired?

What does im running xp sp2 on all my systems on trhe network including the one connected to the router mean? Are you saying that you have other systems on your network, but somehow they are not connected to the router? Just what does that mean?

If you are connecting wirelessly, my guess is that you are connecting to a different router, not your own. And that you do not have good security set up.