PDA

View Full Version : printing to windowsxp

pboodi
05-03-2005, 05:03 AM
i can't seem to print to an xp computer over the network.
I can find, mount and copy from the xp computer, but when I try
to configure the printer nothing happens. The printer won't mount, even
If I mount the the device(printer) that I see on the xp machine. If I use the
add printer wizzard It will scan the network but not return any names or addresses
of the xp computer only the workgroup.

How can I have full access the the xp system and not be able to print?

here is my config

compaq notebook Using KDE (printing from)
dual boot win2k and kde 3.3(hd install)
(win 2k prints fine)
(drivers are part of KDE, and I have selected them via add printer wizzard)
(loging with same username and password I have assigned on the xp machine)

Intel 800mhz with win xp (connected to a HP officejet K-80xi)

I'm not sure I used cups correctly bacause It asked me for server (I dont have a print server)
I used the name and IP of the xp machine. and that didn't work. I tried using the name and IP
of the local (compaq notebook) and that didn't work either.

someone please help
before I smash somthing

pboodi

pboodi
05-23-2005, 02:00 AM
anyone have any Idea?.............

rusty
05-23-2005, 04:39 AM
There's a bunch of posts on this, here is one that might help:

http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5566&highlight=&sid=787ea3c333e25b6d99cc6d52f0911071

Just from looking at your post, I wonder if you've enabled print sharing on the xp box?

HTH

pboodi
05-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Yes I do have print sharing enabled on the xp system. I should mention that the knoppix computer is dual boot with win 2k. I can print from 2k fine. But would prefer not to restart my computer just to print.
Thanks

pboodi
05-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Can anyone print to win xp. Please respond. maybe we can compare setup......Thanks

rusty
05-28-2005, 05:03 AM
Hmm,

A couple of more things to check. Are cupsd and smbd running on your knoppix box? Open a shell and type ps -A to see if they are. If both are not listed start them by typing (in a root shell) cupsd and smbd start and then from the graphical interface try again to find and setup the printer.

Is there any firewall settings on the xp side that could be interfering with things? Since you can print to the xp from 2k, there may also be some TCP/IP issues here, not sure.

Again, refer to the posts above. I'm not that well versed in the xp side of things, but maybe someone will chime in with a better suggestion.

HTH

pboodi
07-22-2005, 05:46 AM
typed ps -a in rootbox

pid tty time cmd
796 pts/2 00:00:00ps

been checking... on xp machine I can see all the shared devices including the printer. I can click on a shared device and enter my username and pswd and I'm in... but when I click on the printer nothing happens.....I get no box asking for pswd...I also should note I have enabled unix printing on xp machine Is the printer supposed to appear when scaning (adding printer in knoppix) cant seem to activate cups because no server is recognized. Manual entry of local computer name and or ip isn't recognized when configuring cups.... neither is name and ip of xp machine. Thanks to anyone who can help

pboodi

rusty
07-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Sorry you're still having trouble, let's keep at it.

First: type ps -A (captital A) for a list of running processes, cupsd should appear if it's running.

If it's not, from a root shell type cupsd to start it.

kprinter should see your winxp printer, if it's on your network.

I think you are running a hard drive installed knoppix/debian , right?

pboodi
08-19-2005, 06:51 AM
wow thanks I didn't know there were that many processes running. Wish I could clean things up like I can in windows startup and services. But thats a different post.
Cups wasnt there so I started it. (rechecked cupsd now listed in processes)
I tried to use the printer setup in control panel. Still dosent see the printer on network scan.
I now have a airlink printserver in addition to the xp box.
It supports linux but isn't recognized (but it works in windows)
and yes I use knoppix 3.3 hd installed.

thanks