PDA

View Full Version : Raid arrays not found on boot

corkypa
05-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I have defined several raid-1 arrays using both mdadm and raidtools, and in all cases it works fine until I reboot the machine. I expected Knoppix to autodetect the raid array and assemble it, but it never does. Mdadm shows the partitions as being part of some unknown array, so information is being kept around, but it is not used.

I must be missing something very simple. Could anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks very much.

marhleet
05-06-2005, 09:48 AM
live-CD or hdd-install ?

how are you loading the arrays ? where ?

corkypa
05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I did an hdd install, and set them up using mdadm. I have identical disks and I am configuring them as a single Raid 1 unit. I am not booting off these disks, they are just for data.

I run mdadm to set up the disk (mdadm --create ....), and can verify that they work, but upon reboot the raid array is not auto detected. It's probably something very simple that I didn't know to do, like frombulate the frobelsnazer, or, more likely, edit a config file or issue a command.

As far as I can tell, the raid data gets written to the persistant superblock so it should be autodetected upon reboot. But that autodetection doesn't seem to be happening. Is there something I need to set ot make it happen?

dzaitsu
05-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I am doing something similar.

I did a hd install and then migrated the install to a raid.

To make the raid's boot partion bootable, I had run grub and set it up:

# grub
grub>device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub>root(hd0,0)
grub>setup(hd0)
grub>device(hd1) /dev/sdb
grub>root(hd1,0)
grub>setup(hd1)
grub>quit

The install on the raid booted however failed to load sd_mod and kernel panicked.

I googled around for a solution but couldn't find much info on the subject.

Anyone have any insights to this problem?

Thanks,

DanZ