PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Language Support?

dinocho
04-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Could the next version of KNOPPIX integrated the Chinese input method? and beautiful Chinese font?

and Accroding to version 3.2, when I use the mozilla to view a chinese traditional website (ex. Yahoo! Taiwan), the text spacing is too large.!! It doesn't happen in version 3.1.

P.S. I means the Chinese(Traditional) not Chinese(Simplified).

:)

Related Website:
Chinese Input Method -- XCIN : http://xcin.linux.org.tw/ (English)
Chinese Linux Extension : http://cle.linux.org.tw/ (Chinese(T))

nicklaser
04-16-2003, 03:30 AM
I don't think Klauss will do that, and I've made a KNOPPIX CD with Simplified Chinese language support.
However, It seemed that the original kernel version doesn't inclued the support of Chinese codepage or iocharset (as for Simplified Chinese, it is cp936 or 936, GB2312), so the filenames cannot be correctly displayed neither in CONSOLE nor in Desktop, so I suggest that the Chinese support (both traditional and simplified) should be added into the kernel. The other "user layer" language support can be DIYed and it's very easy.

garyng
04-17-2003, 11:29 AM
How do you add the user layers afterwards ? BTW, what should be done to enable the necessary code pages in the kernel ?

I understand that if I run X11, I need the Xcin package. Is there anything else ?

thanks in advance.

dinocho
04-17-2003, 05:18 PM
but I can't install XCIN, because the binary directory(/usr/bin) is not writable, so XCIN can't install it. Do any one have solution?

garyng
04-17-2003, 05:50 PM
the beauty of KNOPPIX is that it is a system run from CD, the downside of it is, you cannot install anything.

just install it on the harddisk, look under the DOC link on this site.

Marcel
05-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Chinese language support in knoppix would be very nice for me as well.
I hope someone will add this soon, or tell me how I can add it. I can't read/write chinese but need this for my girlfriend.

Regards,
Marcel

monkeyman
05-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Knoppix Big5 version:
ftp://debian.linux.org.tw/pub/3Anoppix/

dragonfly69uk
05-23-2003, 07:52 PM
link doesnt work
:cry:

monkeyman
05-23-2003, 08:10 PM
It was working at the time I posted it and I doubt the Taiwan linux.org site has mysteriously dissapeared. I would try again in a few hours.

monkeyman
05-24-2003, 04:38 AM
Geeze, It's been a long time now and debian.linux.org.tw is still not responding. Here is another source I dug up:

ftp://ftp2.tnc.edu.tw/pub1/KNOPPIX/3Anoppix/

monkeyman
05-24-2003, 06:20 PM
ftp://debian.linux.org.tw/pub/3Anoppix/ is back up and running. It seems to be much faster than the alternative I posted above .