PDA

View Full Version : WLAN Config Problem

scara
05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I use Knoppix 3.8 live CD and want to run a Netgear MA401 WLAN-PCMCIA card. After inserting the card, lsmod shows me that orinoco_cs modules are loaded automatically. I expected a prism2 module but the card is recognized anyway as eth0. The command iwconfig shows me that eth0 is available.

Then I do the following commands:

iwconfig eth0 essid "ConnectionPoint"
iwconfig eth0 key s:mypassword
iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc
iwconfig eth0 ap any

Now I expect that I get an IP via DHCP, but iwconfig doesn't show an IP, furthermore I can't see eth0 when running ifconfig.

Can someone help me?

Dutch_DK
05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I use Knoppix 3.8 live CD and want to run a Netgear MA401 WLAN-PCMCIA card. After inserting the card, lsmod shows me that orinoco_cs modules are loaded automatically. I expected a prism2 module but the card is recognized anyway as eth0. The command iwconfig shows me that eth0 is available.

Then I do the following commands:

iwconfig eth0 key s:mypassword
iwconfig eth0 ap any

Now I expect that I get an IP via DHCP, but iwconfig doesn't show an IP, furthermore I can't see eth0 when running ifconfig.

Can someone help me?
Either configure etc/network/interfaces, or execute 'pump -i eth0' as root (or 'sudo -i eth0'). 'pump' is a DHCP client.

Dutch

tom31366
11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 with a Netgear MA401. I thought I'd never get wireless to work, but voila! After reading this post, it works!!!

I did the following:

SU
iwconfig eth0 ap any
'pump -i eth0'

The light from the Netgear MA401 goes from blinking to solid, and I can surf the net! Awesome!!

Now, should I decide to install Knoppix 4.0 on my system and I do this, will it be permanent? Or will I have to adjust a boot script?

Thanks

Tom