PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem (n00b)

AlterEgo
04-13-2003, 11:47 AM
If i want to instal knoppix i click on my second harddisk and then I get a weird black screen with green font and i have to chose a partition (hdb5 or hdb6). I want to instal knoppix on hdb5, but how can i chose that to do so?

Mogiin
04-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Delete the partition , then create 2 new partitions. A large partition for Linux and a small one for Linux Swap. Don't create the Swap partition too small. 2 GB is enough I think.

When you create two partitions , you must select the type partition. Linux or Linux Swap.

Select a partition en go to ''Type''. The largest partition is for Linux , number 82 , I think. The small partition is for Linux Swap , number 83.

Check the numbers , I don't know it for sure.

When you are ready , you only have to write them. Select a partition and choose ''Write'' , do it also with the other partition.

Now you are ready to install Knoppix.

AlterEgo
04-13-2003, 12:06 PM
if i light up the first (i want linux to be installed on that drive) and prass space, it says " illegal command"

AlterEgo
04-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Delete the partition , then create 2 new partitions. A large partition for Linux and a small one for Linux Swap. Don't create the Swap partition too small. 2 GB is enough I think.

When you create two partitions , you must select the type partition. Linux or Linux Swap.

Select a partition en go to ''Type''. The largest partition is for Linux , number 82 , I think. The small partition is for Linux Swap , number 83.

Check the numbers , I don't know it for sure.

When you are ready , you only have to write them. Select a partition and choose ''Write'' , do it also with the other partition.

Now you are ready to install Knoppix.
So i have to delete the whole hdb5? If yes: DAMN IT, i have many other programs on that disk

Mogiin
04-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I don't know , I am also a noob :lol:

Try to delete a partition with FDISK (www.bootdisk.com) , then start Knoppix and try it again.

But do you use FAT32 or NTFS with Windows? I heard Knoppix has some problems with NTFS partitions...

Mogiin
04-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Aha , you want to resize that partition?

You need Partition Magic for that or maybe you can do it with WinXP. With WinXP you can create partitions , maybe it can also resize , I don't know that.

RockMumbles
04-13-2003, 02:34 PM
So i have to delete the whole hdb5?

Yes, in order to do an actual install on your hd.

rock

rickenbacherus
04-13-2003, 03:30 PM
If i want to instal knoppix i click on my second harddisk and then I get a weird black screen with green font and i have to chose a partition (hdb5 or hdb6).
OK so on hard drive 'b' you already have two partitions. How big are they? You could easily delete them both and make two new ones with cfdisk. You will need a minimum of 2500M for Knoppix but that is just barely enough for it to fit into. I would definitely make it bigger. For your swap partition you don't need 2 G - twice the amout of your RAM is a rule of thumb but you can do whatever you like. I have 256M ram and so my swap is 512M

I want to instal knoppix on hdb5, but how can i chose that to do so?

Easy- when you start the install script it runs cfdisk, shows you all of your drives and their partitions and let you choose which one to install to.

AlterEgo
04-13-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't want to delete 2 partitions, i don't wanna lose al my data

rickenbacherus
04-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Well there is no law that mandates a swap file. If you've got the RAM then don't worry about it. You could have a working install with a litle room for some extras if you can afford to give up 3000Mb on your hdd. It is possible to put it in a smaller partition but you really can't add anything to it. Is there no other place you can store those pirated mp3's - er uh I mean back-up copies of discs you bought legitimately?