PDA

View Full Version : WIERD Dial Up Problem, HELP?!?

bigkahuna
05-06-2005, 09:39 PM
I've been pulling out my hair on this one for 2 days and am about to give up on Knoppix and Kanotix:

I recently installed Kanotix 2005-1 and configured it with my external 56k modem. All appears to work fine, EXCEPT, I cannot access my accounts at PayPal, eBay, Yahoo Mail or Hotmail. My biggest concern is PayPal and eBay because there isn't a work around like the mail services. If I can't log in, I can't use them.

Here's a thread on what I've tried so far:

http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=7747

Basically I tried:
Kanotix with: Firefox 1.0 and 1.0.3, and Konqueror
Knoppix with Firefox 1.0 and Konqueror
Damn Small Linux with: Firefox 0.92
I'm not on a network and I don't have a firewall set up

Where I'm at right now is that I don't think it's a browser problem, I think it's got to do with how Knoppix sets up a dialup modem. The reason I think this is the problem is because I don't have this problem when boot with Damn Small Linux (which is a Debian / Knoppix derivative).

PLEASE, CAN ANYONE HELP???

bigkahuna
05-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Well I don't know exactly what the cause is, but I found how to fix it. ;)

There's either a bug or something different in how the Kanotix Modem Dialer works that causes the problem. I tried using "WVDIAL" instead and the problem went away! :D

Paul

chris-harry
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
also, firefox doesnt come with the plug ins when you download them, you have to download them... (of course this isnt 100% correct in some cases, like when you mod your cd)