PDA

View Full Version : Troubles Booting to the CD

mrprimo55
05-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> . What do I do here? Thanks for your help.

Harry Kuhman
05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> ....
That because you assumed that you knew what you were doing and took an option in Nero to make the CD bootable, rather than burning the ISO as an image, as explained in the Downloading faq reached by the documentation link near the top of this page. Been discussed over and over again in these forums, a little searching will find you plenty of discussion on how to burn properly.

mrprimo55
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> ....
That because you assumed that you knew what you were doing and took an option in Nero to make the CD bootable, rather than burning the ISO as an image, as explained in the Downloading faq reached by the documentation link near the top of this page. Been discussed over and over again in these forums, a little searching will find you plenty of discussion on how to burn properly.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to post such a stupid question.

Harry Kuhman
05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Sure. Sorry I only pointed you to the important information rather than retyping it all here just for you so you wouldn't have to look at all for it.

mrprimo55
05-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Sure. Sorry I only pointed you to the important information rather than retyping it all here just for you so you wouldn't have to look at all for it.

No its okay because I understood and realized what I did wrong as soon as I read your reply without even going to look in the documentation.

Alecz
05-10-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm just wondering why all the knoppix version will not display any video if the video card is built in to the Mobo. I usually type fb1024x768 hen it will display properly. Is there a way to automatically set that every time I start knoppix. Or do you know any site that I can visit so that I can inform them about the issue nd resolve it. Thank you and I appreciate any help!

UnderScore
05-10-2005, 11:41 PM
>why all the knoppix version will not display any video if the video card is built in to the Mobo.

perhaps this is true for you. But it is certainly not true for me. Knoppix has worked on Dell & Compaq systems with on board video, a rack mount server with on the Mobo video, and two $200 PCs from Wal-mart.com that both have on board video. These New and very old machines use a variety of graphics chipsets like intel i810, ati rage 128/rage pro, or SiS. I a cheat code that seems to work well is: knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60

I hope this helps.
James