PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW Read?

Jameson
05-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Im slightly confused, I'm a huge fan of CD-RW's and they come in handy since I have probably burnt 3 or 4 versions of Knoppix on a single CD-RW

My question is I know that it erases and write at 4X but does it also read at 4X? I could not find anything on the label that said the read speed!

-Jameson

Harry Kuhman
05-07-2005, 03:04 AM
My question is I know that it erases and write at 4X but does it also read at 4X? I could not find anything on the label that said the read speed!
The read speed of a CDRW disc should be based on the rated speed of your reader (usually 48x, 52x or 40x for modern drives, sometimes 24x for some notebook drives). Don't be too trusting of a 48x rating though, you'll likely find that your actual read troughput is significantly lower.

Jameson
05-07-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks!

My drive (on my notebook) is rated at 54x though with K3B, It says the actualy read speed is in the mid 20's.

-Jameson

marhleet
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
a software rating program like the one that comes with Ahead Nero, will hsow that your cd gives a speed from about 20 (on the inner circle) up to 48x (or more) on the outer circle. something to do with circles and geometry, but on a small amount of data in a large cd-rom, youd never get fastest data transfer rate.