PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio

Jameson
05-07-2005, 02:44 AM
I was rather curious to see if their were any Ham Radio operators out their?

I've recentally (05/05/05) recieved my licence!

-Jameson (KB3MGR)

bigkahuna
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
There are a few, I still have my license but haven't operated for a couple of years.

Paul (kf6til)

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Yea, we're around.

chris-harry
05-12-2005, 08:07 AM
whats a Ham radio???

bx2ah
06-01-2005, 07:30 AM
there are many. the most popular Chinese Knoppix version is called BV1AL knoppix, and you guess it right, he is a ham.

Frank Chen, bx2ah, Taipei

I was rather curious to see if their were any Ham Radio operators out their?

I've recentally (05/05/05) recieved my licence!

-Jameson (KB3MGR)

lilsirecho
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I am N6RE but not operating any gear. Hold the two-way distance record for US.Amateur F/M fast scan TV of 208miles on 10,000MHZ band.

jjmac
06-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Do any of you guys know a bloke called "Sam" from Sydney Australia ... he lives up the road a bit, or used to. Not a bad bloke ... immersed ... I can't remember his call-sign as it would be around 20 years or so ago ...

jm

dakota
06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
There are Ham's out there like you see.
In Germany there is also a special HAM-Version of Knoppix availible (AFU-Knoppix with many extra tools for PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, FAX, APRS, Packet Radio, logging, antenna calculation and so on). But i think it's time for a new one since it is 3.7-based. Don't know wheather there is something similar availible from some english guys.

DB1SOA

p.s.: I don't know the Sam from Sydney, sorry. :-)

Harry Kuhman
06-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Link for above (http://www.afu-knoppix.de/): http://www.afu-knoppix.de/

UnderScore
06-20-2005, 09:39 PM
I passed & got a novice license back in 1993 or 1994. At that time, my interests in computing dominated my interests in Ham so I never went on to pursue a tech or tech+ license. I never did get a hang of CW. Under the watchful eye of a general (i think higher)licensed operator, Me & some buddies competed on [url=http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/fd/Field Day[/url] 1994. I don't remeber the freq or wavelength we were transmitting on, but we CQ'd & QSO'd from Long Island NY to Ontario, CAN to Maryland all on a car battery. Certainly not a super-duper ultimate record but it impressed me. :)

Mmmmm good times.

Harry Kuhman
06-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I passed & got a novice license back in 1993 or 1994.
You might want to check that ticket. If it was 93 and has not been renewed it's too late, if it was 94 you might still have time to renew it. It a ten year license but there is a renewal grace period. I could never get the hang of CW either. That's why I went for my tech license. Aced the test. The examiners seemed to want to get a few failed tests too so their averages would not look too good, and asked if I wanted to take the written for the General too. Took the written for the General and passed that too without ever studying any of it. They asked me to try for the Advanced and I got hit by too many inductor formulas that I didn't remember there. Never did even wanted to learn the code for the General though, I just see it as ham Radio's way of hazing new members and I want no part of it.

I'm not even sure where the regulations are now. Last I checked the ARRL was recommending to the FCC that the General not need a code requirement but that it be kept for the Expert, andthat Advanced be dropped. My thinking on the mentality of the ARRL rhymes with Bold Heart, and I really resent their wanting to keep a special high privledge license around just for people who pass a code test but will never use the code again for the privledges that that license gives them. I had other ham friend ask if I would get a General license when the code requirement was dropped, but my response is that if the code requirement is kept for the Expert than I'll stick with my tech license. In an age of Internet as well as cheap and unlimited long distance phone calls for one low price, the incentives to use ham radio are rapidly being displaced by other things. If the ARRL is going to insist on keeping the code requirement for their little clique, then I'll be glad to see less support for that part of the hobby and the obvious result their short sighted seflishness seems to not see - the loss of those bands to other services because they worked hard to keep some people out of parts of the hobby.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed my tech ticket. UHF and VHF frequencies are great. Lots of local repeaters in my area. I have never broadcasted to a satellite station; AO-27 went dark just as I got a radio that would do it, but if another FM UHF/VHF satellite gets up and operational I would love to give it a try. There are a few other interesting things you can do with a tech ticket and a little computer hardware too, like APRS. You might want to upgrade James.

Jameson
06-21-2005, 03:29 AM
At least in the US:

Currently the Advanced has been dropped, thoughs who have that licence are free to keep/renew it all they want.

Extra & General still have a CW requirement.

13 and 20 WPM CW have been dropped. Now you only need 5.

I intend on taking the 5 WPM in early july and the General later that month...

2 Year Grace period for the person who may not have renewed... theirs still time if you got it in '93.

Glad to see there is some turnout, this aera is great for Hams. Though the Internet will and currently is going to be the death of Ham radio...

73's
KB3MGR