PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia card - Missing Kernel Interface

Kowood
05-07-2005, 04:41 AM
So I downloaded a driver for my graphics card and did a console login (without x) to install it. When I ran it, then installer came up and eventually go to a point where it said I didn't have a kernel interface or something of the like. So I chose the create one type thingy, and it loaded a bit and said it couldn't be created. I tried connecting to the internet with pon (after i configured with pppconfig) and it just started and then before it even dialed...Stopped. The question here is...Why won't it make a kernel interface? Is it because I'm using the 2.6.9-kanotix-8 kernel? Should I get a more regular kernel? And how do I do that?

fingers99
05-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Hard to know!

But here's what you usually do:

download something like NVIDIA-linux-486.run

make sure it's executable.

log out and log in again as root in console mode.

pon

cd to wherever the .run file is

./NVID(hit tab here and it'll autocomplete)

work your way through the licence and eventually it should install.

If you're not connected to the Internet, and the script needs to get something from the nVidia site, it'll fail, every time.

Kowood
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Well.....I tried pon.....But for some reason it didn't work....I heard the little click that the modem makes when you start connecting, and then about 5 seconds later.....It clicked again and turned off. It never dialed...And it kept doing this even after I turned it off.

Kowood
05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
k, just tried it again, and pon worked this time. but it still said it couldn't connect to download.nvidia.com