PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix inside VMware as client

12-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Has anyone tried to use Knoppix under vmware as a client with Windows as the host?

How exactly is it going to work?

Thanks a lot!

stonent
12-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Has anyone tried to use Knoppix under vmware as a client with Windows as the host?

Thanks a lot!

Works just fine. Just hit space when it gives you an error about incorrect video modes. It does seem to hang for a few moments while probing for scsi but it comes up. I've even started one knoppix session in VMWare and used etherboot in another session to boot off of the first session. It runs very fast.

Chinese
01-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Can you pls tell me how to install vmware-tools ?

Stonent
01-07-2003, 03:55 AM
You don't need to install the tools. You couldn't really anyway.

stonent
01-13-2003, 05:53 AM
For sound in vmware, just execute the following command:

modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

(Make sure you have the sound card option enabled in vmware first!)

tuxtom
01-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Thanks a lot!
You even don't need to burn a CD. Just put your KNOPPIX.iso as CDROM image to vmware config.
And if you take a floppy image as floppy you can use floppyconfig as well.

tom

Blindman
02-27-2003, 07:48 PM
I would like to do this, but I just get told that:

A bootable CD-ROM disc, floppy diskette, or hard disk was not detected.
To install a new operating system, insert a bootable CD-ROM disc or floppy diskette in the drive and restart the virtual machine by selecting menu entry Power > Reset.

I am running Windows XP Pro as the host os with VMWare Workstation 3.2. I have tried using the ISO and a cdrom itself with the same result.

Mindfield
03-03-2003, 04:36 AM
I got Knoppix to boot from the ISO using VMWare. Seems to work okay, but there appear to be some display issues. (Missing or corrupted text in dialog and selector boxes -- try viewing the list of screen savers; it's invisible. :-)

Alternatively, Connectix VirtualPC will also boot it from the CD, but I was only able to get it to run in 256 colours due apparently to a lack of proper video drivers. (VPC emulates an S3 Trio 32/64 video card, so I'm assuming Knoppix doesn't have any proper drivers for this -- either that or VPC needs to be able to install VPC tools for video to work properly) Haven't yet figured out if VPC can mount an ISO file. (It doesn't appear to be able to yet as of 5.1)

TheProdigy
04-09-2003, 05:08 PM
@Stonent
VMWare-Tools would be nice, because now I have always to press Strg+Alt+Esc to escape the VMWare-Window :?

@Blindman
I have experienced the same problems, but it works using Daemon-Tools: http://www.daemon-tools.org

god
04-10-2003, 04:45 PM
i dont mean to be an ass, but did you change the BIOS settings in vmware when it gave the cannot find bootable medium? It is not set to boot from cd by default