PDA

View Full Version : How to access & configure internal modem through KNOPPIX

bhasker varma
05-07-2005, 10:14 PM
:?: I liked knoppix very much but my problem is accessing internet through Knoppix.
When I boot my CD it runs very fine & accepts all of my hardware except my PCI modem.

In my Win. XP the same modem is shown as Intel (R) 537EP but in the Knoppix session when I run 'KUDZU' it is not
even detected. Infact when I try to configure "Internet' through GUI i.e through the icon on taskbar of knoppix, Knoppix runs
some program & then shows that I've got a 'PCI SmartLink Modem' Now Please help me.

fingers99
05-07-2005, 11:59 PM
There's not really any simple way around this if you're running Knoppix from CD.

If you do a Debian install you might be able to find and compile a driver for your modem.

To find out if there's a driver available for it, run

lspci

which will give you lots of unecessary data, but will enanble you to pin point the chipset.

You can then google for

linux (chipset)

and hope that something turns up.

The issue is an old, old, one: most pci modems rely on software to do a fair amount of the work and that software is generally proprietary and often only available for Windows.

On the other hand, the cheapest external serial modem you can find should run just fine in Windows, DOS and Linux, and will give better performance in either.

bhasker varma
05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Thnaks for ur suggestion
I'd look forward to implement the things U said.