PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix used to boot, new version doesn't... help?

E_Surge
05-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi, I just got Knoppix 3.8.1 and I can't get it to boot. With Knoppix 3.7, I'd just boot into the kernel 2.6. Well now its default 2.6.11 kernel and its giving me the problem i had with 3.7 kernel 2.4. The problem I had and now currently have with 3.8.1 is when I boot (normally, cheatcoded, failsafe, or expert) it displays the penguin, it starts to detect hardware, usb/firewire etc... and then it does a final Autodection.. once that is finished, my computer freezes. No other action happens. I'm currently running and surfing this site with knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6.9 to make sure that it was working, and it is. Unfortunately Knoppix 3.8.1 isn't :(

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
2x256MB RAM
200GB SATA Hard-drive (on the via controller not the promise one)
ATi Radeon 9600se 128MB
USB Keyboard and Mouse (and I've hooked both back to ps/2 as a test to see if that was the problem)

Please any suggestions, comments, or solutions are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edit:

And just so I don't get flamed, I have searched the forum and been through many threads.

Schugy
05-08-2005, 10:08 PM
The output of lspci and lsusb on Knoppix 3.7 with Linux2.6 would be useful ;) And tell us about hardware that isn't shown in this output.

E_Surge
05-08-2005, 11:35 PM
oopsie!... when you said other hardware.. i checked my comp and i totally forgot my dad had put in a Twinhan vp-1020a DVB-S card in here... So I thought if I took that out and try it might do something and guess what.. :P its working and I'm posting on this forum on Knoppix 3.8.1 hahaha... Hmm I wonder if theres a way to get that working without taking the card out.. although I don't use it that much.. but i think my dad does. All well, thanks though :)

Schugy
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Maybe you can disable the irq for that PCI slot in your BIOS and I hope your card won't be recognized.

E_Surge
05-09-2005, 12:45 AM
good suggestion, i'll try that out later.