PDA

View Full Version : I feel really smert... oh yes i do..

chris-harry
05-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I feel smart... I finally (convincing me parents was the hardest part), got a linux partion on the computer... did everything correctly (had a little much up when i typed in the wrong password when setting it because i wasnt really looking)... and now... i COME TO YOU USING KNOPPIX!!

i feel soo evil :twisted: <-- hence the evil picture...

anyway... i just had to say, wow... its really fast on a P4, (been using a P2, not connected to the net)...

and now i am laughing, and i feel soo smert... did nothing to connect to the net (it even seems faster on linux!! hmm), and now i am laughing... :lol:

and i had to tell all of you... not gloating by the way, just laughing evily.. :D:D

gadgerama
05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Mwahahahaaaaa! Another convert :-).

chris-harry
05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
an EVIL time I was having, until i tried getting on the net again... and it didnt work :( *cries out loud*...

BUT THEN I FIGURED IT OUT AGAIN!!

man, did i say its really really really really really fast... i feel special... I know i am special because i am a mutated banana because one day i just dececided to eat some of me sisters cooking because i was really really hungry... thats a little warning about me sisters cooking.. :D

I dont know why people think windows is great??

Cuddles
05-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Chris,

I can vouch for the speed... I am running an AMD 64bit, and using Kanotix 64, it does burn:!:

As for the internet, that has always been problematic, with windows. Our "local" ISP has always had dissconnects, line drops, froze connections, etc... With Windows. When we converted our systems over to Linux, all of our connection problems just, dissapeared. I can attest, that I have been connected for more than a week, at one time, and not once, got dropped, dissconnected, or had any froze connections. All of our connection problems just "went away" with our installing Linux.

Glad to see you got a few "converts", and that you are growing within Linux, to the point of getting answers, helping others, and becoming a smart evil banana :)

Ms. Cuddles

jjmac
05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Howdy folks,

Yeaa, a chance to have whinge over my crummy, but cheap, IP :lol:

Ms. Cuddles

>>
As for the internet, that has always been problematic, with windows.
>>

Oh woh is me. A person trys to do the right thing, takes the time to firewall, but guess what .. well ... a theory at least...

My provider, a small business, runs, or rather, rents, MS IIS. So, instead of me getting craked by spam bots and assorted crawly things, the IP does instead. I think they just grabbed the customer lists and now.. the spam just flooowws.

I shudder to look at my mai, so i just let it build up to full and then it stops. Except for the hassel of getting mail from the IP ..."You mail box is full etc" :roll:

Not sure what this has to do with anything though, just a dig at IIS i guess,

hay chris-harry :) ....

ummmm, what were you using for all your other posts hehehe, i bet can guess.

jm

-:- If the system is the answer, then the question
must have been really stupid -:-

chris-harry
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I can vouch for the speed... I am running an AMD 64bit, and using Kanotix 64, it does burn oh yeah... it does... its cool...

Glad to see you got a few "converts", and that you are growing within Linux, to the point of getting answers, helping others, and becoming a smart evil banana well, its alot easier actually helping people now, because i dont have to run to me bed room, see what i am doing, comming back... thinking of a way to put it, then run back... because i forgot what i was doing so i had to do it all again... <-- but least i got fit by doing all that excercise...

chance to have whinge over my crummy, but cheap, IP hehe, i can still remember when i was on dial up, using dodo... cheap cheap internet, use to get hacked alot using it... very unsafe...

jjmac
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
>>
using dodo..
>>

(grin), not surprised :) ...

Thats the bloke who got done for major fraud a while back...

Intrusion isn't exclusive to dialup though. But if the IP dosen't use any decent defense ... it won't matter what kind of account you have.

What kind of intrusions did you get ?

ps:

Saw 'Battlestar Galactica' last night ... i didn't really like it before, but now do, totally great show. Must have missed a lot though. How does the doctors mysterious invisible gf/advisor fit in ? .. not to worry :)

jm

-:- If the system is the answer, then the question

edit: 16/05/2005: spelling

chris-harry
05-12-2005, 12:59 PM
What kind of intrusions did you get ? nearly everything! it was horrible... computer went really really really really really really slow... we had our number thing which your modem calls changed to a 1900, OUCH!! got a $100 phone bill from that!

Battle star is good, it just started bad... its heating up, but there are some flaws in the stories though, they need more action... corruptness, and twists.... I recon the cylons are playing a game... <--i have a special gift to actually see patterns, and guess whats going to happen next, great in thrillers... i can guess the bad guy before the end... its a great gift! I got it from me mum!

anyway! the Dr is really a so called cylon, <--which brings in more prof that its a game to the cylons... he is there to help the humans, he found out a way to find out weather the people are humans or cylons (because they created cylons that look like humans the cylons did), anyway... he sees her, but the other cylons dont for some strange reason.

Why would anyone want to destroy their plan? well, maybe they want to see how far the humans can go! <-- the girl said they have done this many times, the girl also said they destroyed the humans, well, not directly... why would anyone want to bring them back, to control them? well, it seems like that doesnt it... :D
the last one was great, it really warmed up there, pitty next week is the last one...

i wanna get the original and the new battlestar on dvd... i just like 3D stuff, i had a friend talk to me today, and he told me i should start doing some 3d, (well, what goes around comes around... i have been telling one of me other friends to use linux, because its all open sourced, and you have heaps of people out there to help you with it, and you can actually modify it, and play around with it with relitive easy and it'll improve his overall computer performance... (well, it has mine, i can now read)) anyway, flew way off topic...

i have been watching atlantus, love it... great show... (Star Gate Atlantus), i have picked it up very well... love the canadian! he's really funny... and not so good with kids... anyway, the one where they go back to earth is on tonight... excitement to the max! missed last weeks though :(:( everyone was using every T.v

also, anyone here watched Babylon 5???

Leipe_Po
05-12-2005, 02:40 PM
no but i watch alot of discovery channel!!!!

btw since we gone off-topic:

since i started linux i dont know what i like more...
mounting hardware or mounting my girlfriend :D

if the qeustions is about windows, linux is the anwser....

get windows, get hacked,
get linux, get a life.

when i was talking in the bar with a linux user and told him i was hacked, he started pointing and laughing, now i know why....(really happend)

chris-harry
05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
<< no but i watch alot of discovery channel!!!! >>

aww man, i wish i had that (i only have a big tv)... not complaining... i just love documentry shows... hate the predictory of many shows (not to forget to mention the really bad writing)...

<<when i was talking in the bar with a linux user and told him i was hacked, he started pointing and laughing, now i know why....(really happend)>>

hehe, yeah...

<<mounting hardware or mounting my girlfriend Very Happy>> i think we know which one

jjmac
05-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Howdy c-h,

How would changing you number help. If it's an IP account, all a person has to do is scan the IP accounts to find a given domain path trace to a specific account holder. Or just 'do over' a range. Easier if the IP is a small business, that is, less accounts to scan.

Hope you firewall at your end. If not you should (iptables). It's a snak to set up.

And a decent intrusion detector like 'snort' is good to run. It's nothing short of facinating the things that checkout your ports while your online. Which otherwise, go totally unnoticed.

I'm getting quite hooked to BSG. I quite like the computer game attmosphere associated with the battle scenes too. Especially the attention they pay to a zero gravity environment. It reminds me of when i used to play 'asteroids' a lot on the machines in town (Sydney) (grin)

>>
I recon the cylons are playing a game..
>>

What kind of a game. Do you mean their experimenting with them. If they wanted to make the techno jump from machine to life form, i guess that would be a motive for extensive experimentation. I got that felling when they dispatched the little chinese cylon girl with the human on their planet. Then simulated their escape. By techo jump to life form i'm thinking a bit along the lines of the 'Borg' queen, what a girl (grin).

>>
<--i have a special gift to actually see patterns,
>>

Hows the crypto project going. I'm still stuck at the scrable board hint stage. :)

Maybe you could practice/develop it a bit. Say ... keep a dummy share portfolio maybe, and see what happens there. Somethings though, only work when there not attempted concously (worse luck). But then again ... thats basically what Zen and the like has always been about i guess .. bridging the states, so to speak.

>>
the Dr is really a so called cylon, <--which brings in more prof that its a game to the cylons... he is there to help the humans, he found out a way to find out weather the people are humans or cylons (because they created cylons that look like humans the cylons did), anyway... he sees her, but the other cylons dont for some strange reason.
>>

Really !

Maybe all the humans are Cylons, but at a much later stage than the current lot. Last weeks episode certainly had a strong religous/destiny air to it, as though something conclusive was about to happen. And the madam president ... like, she is now starting to hallucinate all over the place.

..... the last one ... damn Packer and all that club. It pisses me a bit the way they just leave shows hanging. It is such a blatant ... couldn't give a stuff ... attitude that they have.

It would be great if a person could install an 'add' filter into a tv set, similar to 'junkbuster' and the like. Probably not impossible. If Linux can be employed in areas like amature Radio, why not as a tv signal gateway... hey (grin) is that an idea for a Project or what. Wish i didn't just know zilch about tv workings :)

>>
Why would anyone want to destroy their plan? well, maybe they want to see how far the humans can go! <-- the girl said they have done this many times, the girl also said they destroyed the humans, well, not directly... why would anyone want to bring them back, to control them? well, it seems like that doesnt it... :D
the last one was great, it really warmed up there, pitty next week is the last one..
>>

something is going on thats for sure. I haven't been consistent enough to be able to trace all the associations though.

>>
i have been telling one of me other friends to use linux, because its all open source
>>

It can be amazing how many people actually know very little about it.

And yes (grin), the Canadian is a funny bloke hehehe. He said he made his first atomic bomb at college (grin).

Computers can also teach one to spell too, hehe, well, in a way (almost) that is, at least enough if a person wants to do google.

>>
the one where they go back to earth is on tonight...
>>

Yeah, that was a good episode, i can see what you mean by your generalisation that the stories could be improved. a good script writer, hey ... they just gotta be the biggest fan i think, to qualify.

>>
also, anyone here watched Babylon 5???
>>

Yes ... but can't remember it (shoking hang-over at the moment, gota give it up (not kidding))

over and out :)

jm

:- If the system is the answer, then the question

chris-harry
05-17-2005, 01:47 PM
hehe... :D:D

What kind of a game. Do you mean their experimenting with them. If they wanted to make the techno jump from machine to life form, i guess that would be a motive for extensive experimentation. I got that felling when they dispatched the little chinese cylon girl with the human on their planet. Then simulated their escape. By techo jump to life form i'm thinking a bit along the lines of the 'Borg' queen, what a girl (grin). nah, a real twisted and corrupt strange game... kinda like the one which one of me girl friends played on me... ex-girl friend should i should say...

Computers can also teach one to spell too, hehe, well, in a way (almost) that is, at least enough if a person wants to do google. this is news to me... :D:D

i missed the start of that episode... :( had a sac on the next day... *shivers*... soo cold... sooo cold...

It can be amazing how many people actually know very little about it. you forgot compleately stupid, one of me friends got stuck on the boot screen on the cd... all he had to do was press enter, tich tich...

jjmac
05-18-2005, 11:57 AM
>>
soo cold... sooo cold..
>>

Yeah, your not wrong. About this time of year i like to sit around the fridge with the door open, just to warm up a bit.

At least the box likes it. Dreading summer on that level, not to mention dust. I saw a good looking water cooling system based on a convection tower from a company called "Zalman" the other day. Around 249 or 269 $'s. Dust is a real problem my way ... it gets every where inside.

No fan ... no dust, to deceptively simple maybe (grin), gotta be a flaw there somewhere.

Last episode, oh well (grin), maybe there will be a hint in tonights episode ... unless they just kill it at whatever point. Soon as the advert contract runs out most likely.

ummm hehh, don't suppose there's a chance on a hint as to the game (grin) :)

cold and wet (grin)

jm

-|- If the systems the answer, then the question
must have been really stupid -|-

chris-harry
05-21-2005, 04:20 AM
battle star is over... :( it ended on an ok note... i love it how the girl said to the dr... you have 3 choices (i know she didnt say this out loud, but we all know what she ment)... cleaver though! shot the leader.... hehehehehe...

"Congratulations" *pulls out hand to shake hands with the hero, and gets shot by the hero*... as simple as that... :D:D:D:D

At least the box likes it. Dreading summer on that level, not to mention dust. I saw a good looking water cooling system based on a convection tower from a company called "Zalman" the other day. Around 249 or 269 $'s. Dust is a real problem my way ... it gets every where inside. no kidding about this, but we had a spider in ours... must of got in there when it was little or something...

ours needed a good clean... :D:D it was that bad... :D:D

j.drake
05-21-2005, 07:12 AM
I can vouch for the speed... I am running an AMD 64bit, and using Kanotix 64, it does burn:!:

Me too! I've been driving myself crazy looking for the control in KDE that slows down the key repeat, because if I accidentally hold down a key longer than half a second, it repeatttttttttttttsssssssss. I love the speed, but I waste most of my saved time hitting the backspace key! What dumb thing am I overlooking to control this?:oops:

jd

Cuddles
05-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Me too! I've been driving myself crazy looking for the control in KDE that slows down the key repeat, because if I accidentally hold down a key longer than half a second, it repeatttttttttttttsssssssss. I love the speed, but I waste most of my saved time hitting the backspace key! What dumb thing am I overlooking to control this?:oops:

jd
Only can think of in KControl... It must be in there, has to be...

( 1 ) KControl -> Peripherals -> Keyboard ---> "Enable Keyboard Repeat", "Delay", "Rate"
( 2 ) KControl -> Regional & Accessibility -> Accessibility -> Keyboard ---> "Sticky Keys" | "Use Sticky Keys", "Use Slow Keys" | "Rate", "Use Bounce Keys" | "Delay"

Best I can come up with, hope it helps,
Ms. Cuddles

jjmac
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I think iv'e got BSG figured ... as the opening splash screen has a strong destiney/creational theme, i figure thats the basic idea driving the story.

The ending ... well ... it did look a bit like a 'baby basket' on that alter.

Human kind created the cylons, but who are they ... like the borg they are many but also just one. I think all the clones of the chinese girl, when one of them touched her on the cheek ... they must have down loaded an unlocking key of some kind which put her into her mission mode. Maybe all the humans are really cylons. Maybe humans are really cylons at the end of their cycle. In that the cylons wish, or have a drive to transform into life ... as it's the only thing they really lack. But have no idea as to how that frailty will eventually result in their decline.

I get the idea the time context of the show is circular rather than the standard common linear assumption.

cylons --> humans --> cylons --> ...

The way the show ended ... on a beginning note (grin)

dust is real bad news, a silent and slow killer.

>>
but we had a spider in ours... must of got in there when it was little or something...
>>

(grin), i guess you could call that a bug.

jm

-|- If the systems the answer, then the question

j.drake
05-22-2005, 06:04 AM

( 1 ) KControl -> Peripherals -> Keyboard ---> "Enable Keyboard Repeat", "Delay", "Rate"
( 2 ) KControl -> Regional & Accessibility -> Accessibility -> Keyboard ---> "Sticky Keys" | "Use Sticky Keys", "Use Slow Keys" | "Rate", "Use Bounce Keys" | "Delay"

Ms. Cuddles

Yep, option 1 did it. Don't know how I missed it. Guess I never considerered a keyboard as a peripheral.

Thanks!

jd

PS, not that even a 64 bit OS can't help Open Office launch in a reasonable period of time!

Cuddles
05-27-2005, 02:43 AM

Ms. Cuddles

Yep, option 1 did it. Don't know how I missed it. Guess I never considerered a keyboard as a peripheral.

Thanks!

jd

PS, not that even a 64 bit OS can't help Open Office launch in a reasonable period of time!

Sweet, glad I could help J.D. -=- and yes, a 64bit processor doesnt fire up Open Office any quicker... ( I'm not even sure if a Cray would do any better either :) )

Ms. Cuddles

chris-harry
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
ok, while we are asking... I tried apt-get update... it ran all the way threw, took a couple of hours... but then, at the end... it didnt work. said something funny, and then the next thing i know... KDE was acting strange... and LiLo only produced a whole heap of nines that looked like this

99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

It had to do that the night where I gave me copy to me friend to try (ran out of blank cd's so i couldnt burn it, and the original disk was stuffed). So i did try the original disk... but it didnt want to open <-- proberly because it was scratched, because it lives in a slip... anyway... had to use feather linux to reload lilo, and anyway, it installed only the kernal... so i have to reload knoppix again... (aww well, fresh start, a new slate where i havent made any mistakes like accidently call me computer Big instead of Big Lilly, and type in me wrong password)...

anyone know why that happened??

Me too! I've been driving myself crazy looking for the control in KDE that slows down the key repeat, because if I accidentally hold down a key longer than half a second, it repeatttttttttttttsssssssss. I love the speed, but I waste most of my saved time hitting the backspace key! What dumb thing am I overlooking to control this?Embarassed

jd wouldnt that make you wanna type faster?

but that has its draw backs, like saw fingures...

cylons --> humans --> cylons --> it seems like that... i tell you what i really want to see, the starter war... where the humans first fight the cylons, before the attack on caprica... that would be cool... and the commander could be like younger (and hopefully will have better skin), and he's like in the middle of it...

and have a double story in it, that spreads for several seasons and you find out something shocking about a person just to keep the ratings up...

but that nuclear explosion in the cylon main ship looked awsome... I was like... WOW!!! at least it ended on a cool note... the good thing about it was that you actually got to see it explode, non of this "lets point the camera at the persons face while they look away in horror. so we can save us some money"...
the next question is will there be a next season... the problem is that they had a real bad start, they went no where with the story... because they pritty much killed off everyone they couldnt risk having another battle... :( thats the problem when you cut down your population in a story... you dont have anywhere to move to kill off people, introduce new people that have really nothing to do with the series and are only a one off...

but it would be great if they found another colloney of humans, with different technology looking for the same thing

jjmac
05-30-2005, 02:25 AM
>>
99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ...
>>

An extract from "man lilo"
--------------------------------------------
All hex error codes are BIOS return values, except for the lilo-generated 40, 99 and 9A. A partial list of error codes follows:

99 invalid second stage index sector (LILO)
----------------------------------------------

What ever you did, it would seem that the 1st stage couldn't find the second stage.

There can be a number of reasons for that ... If you installed a new copy of lilo, but it was incomplete, then the 2nd stage was probably missing.

If you removed the partition entry from the main table ... the 1st stage wouldn't find its' 2nd stage as a result. As it's still working through the bios untill the 2nd stage loader is brought in.

It would be interesting to see some "apt-get" log output. KDE is a large program, so there would have a lot of things that apt would have been attempting to fetch.

>>
took a couple of hours...
>>

Sounds OK, i would have thought all night ... depending on your conection that is (dial up)

>>
anyone know why that happened??
>>

Which part :), the scratch, apt, Kde ?, the password ......

You can do "dummy" runs of "apt-get". I think it has a --dry-run switch. If you pipe the output to a log ... you should get a good idea on any problems that may occure during the actual update.

>>
i tell you what i really want to see, the starter war... where the humans first fight the cylons, before the attack on caprica...
>>

Yes, i hope they bring it back ... it would be good to see it complete. But those shows are rarly all figured out from the beginning. I suppose it could be said that they kinda make-it-up as they go :)

>>
hats the problem when you cut down your population in a story... you dont have anywhere to move to kill off people
>>

Yes, but you can save a lot of cash on salaries(grin) ... pay-day on friday ... avalanch scene on thursday ... but thats an old trick hehe

I think the ending had a definite ... to be continued ... type of air to it. As soon as they figure out were to continue it to, that is.

On your install though ... have you tryed a direct copy from the running cd to a partition. The only quirk is that you need to reset all the read-only file settings. A bit drawn out, and needs monitoring ... but interesting still ...

edit: 05/06/2005:
----------------------------------------------------
the 1st stage would find its' 2nd stage as a result. ..... to ......

the 1st stage wouldn't find its' 2nd stage as a result
----------------------------------------------------

jm

-|- If the system is the answer, then the question

chris-harry
06-04-2005, 02:53 PM
thanks... :D

chris-harry
06-05-2005, 06:58 AM
by the way, how many times has this topic, gone off topic... just wanna know... i have a habbit of making topics go off topic...

chris-harry
06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
http://klik.atekon.de/index.php?section=games/

ok, on this page is this...

xbill | Get rid of those Wingdows Viruses!

wingdows... hehehe... well i found it funny...

jjmac
06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
[ What topic ? (scratch_nut.png) ]

Yes, i used Xbill to set my fonts right in RH v5.0. It was invaluable at the time :).

Funny game too, hehe

jm

chris-harry
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
yeah... i played alittle... then me bro kicked me off :'(

chris-harry
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
a quick Q... ok, in lilo... if i want to make windows the default to boot (to make me family happy), do i edit the /etc/lib.conf and change it to "windows"?? or what do i put??

jjmac
06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Howdy ...

Hope the below isn't to much ...

/etc/lilo.conf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(8)' and `lilo.conf(5)',
# --------------- `install-mbr(8)', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
# and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.

#Globals: apply globally unless specifically over-ridden

lba32

# Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names
# and the BIOS' harddisk order. Use with caution.

#disk=/dev/hde
# bios=0x81

#disk=/dev/sda
# bios=0x80

# Device where Lilo installs its boot block. I put my 1st stage on the primary-extended ... not the mbr

boot=/dev/hda1

# default root device
root=/dev/hdb6

# location of map file, really /dev/hdb1

map=/boot/.map

delay=300
read-only
message=/boot/bootmess.txt
prompt
timeout=250
single-key
vga=normal

# the default that will boot if nothing is selected

default=lin <----------- Your looking for this !

image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.10-ck7-Athlon64-2
label=lin
read-only
alias=1

# what i actual choose

image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.10-ck7-Athlon64-4
label=lin64-4
read-only
append="cpufreq.debug=4"
alias=4

etc

# windows b: aka OSR2

other=/dev/hda1
# map-drive=0x80 to=0x81
# map-drive=0x81 to=0x80
table=/dev/hda
label="dos"
alias=8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just change the "default=" option to point at the windows label and that will boot if nothing else is selected.

If that field is left out, or is blank ... then the first on the list will boot.

Use the "other=" option for any none linux OSes.

You need to have the partitions that contain kernels mounted to update the map file, only for linux systems. If all the kernels reside in the one boot partition then that would be the only one needed.

Kernels don't need to be on the root partition. And when/if they need to be mounted it doesn't matter where, for the map files update that is. Lilo will use the file system to trace down the correct disk locations.

You must run lilo as root to update that file after a config change.

Using the "-t" switch is good for a test-run, and "-v" switch is good for extra info.

Latest version always recommended.

>>
... then me bro kicked me off :'(
>>

(grin)

jm

chris-harry
06-10-2005, 01:58 PM
thanks...

ok to the idea... i have an idea for knoppix... i think its great, but what you think, well... it could be different...

I was reading me APC magizine, when i came across this section for businesses, and it said something about cheap software, and so on and so on... back to me idea... It got me thinking...

some small business' are really small, and they are loosing most of their money because of expensive software like windows, and microsoft office, and updating security so their company can be protected... it got me thinking... why dont we creat another knoppix directed at business... It could be called "Knoppix- Bused" Bused standing for Business Edition... it could be directed directly at business...

for example, it could be smalled then the knoppix is right now, knowing that many small business' have 2nd hand computers, which are slow and that, and a live cd being on a slow computer... well, we all know it isnt that fun... well, it could be very light, so light we could (if we really wanted to), squeeze it under 200Mb if we wanted to... (they could if they wanted to, load on extra features later on, like games, Xservers, the stuff which dont really apply to people who dont know many shortcuts, etc). It would have what business' need, exactly what they need, like a Quickbook equivalent, OpenOffice... a firewall (all small business' think the only way to be safe, is to have a firewall... ), etc... but yes there is a catch...

WE HAVE TO MAKE IT UltrA USER FRIENDLY!!! big icons, saying... OPEN OFFICE! Word processing...

people wont use software if they dont know how to use it... we need to pritty much, get rid of the learning curve... we need to make it so, that these business people (i am assuming that they know how to use M word), can look directly at OpenOffice and be able to use it without needing to have lessons or anything... We would pritty much need to dumb down everything! <--i know, it will be a sad sad day... this might mean getting rid of the boot screen and have a GUI screen, where you have buttons where you get to choose several options like "Trial CD", "CHoose Desktop" or "Install TO HD"...

and we have to make it look like its a business desktop, at the same time, try to make it able to make it personal...

well... i could elaborate on it, but right now... i should edit lilo... i will post more, but please... EVERYBODY!! post what you think... btw, we could still have the original version of knoppix still running... it would be much like XP home, and XP Profesional... but with a better OS.

chris-harry
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
i know i am not making much sense.... but i will, once i have had time pondering the thought and me own words... so bear with me right now... i will do it...

for the lilo...

vga=791
# /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(8)' and `lilo.conf(5)',
# --------------- `install-mbr(8)', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
# and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.

# +---------------------------------------------------------------+
# | !! Reminder !! |
# | |
# | Don't forget to run `lilo' after you make changes to this |
# | conffile, `/boot/bootmess.txt', or install a new kernel. The |
# | computer will most likely fail to boot if a kernel-image |
# | post-install script or you don't remember to run `lilo'. |
# | |
# +---------------------------------------------------------------+

# Support LBA for large hard disks.
#
lba32

# Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names and the BIOS'
# harddisk order. Use with caution.
#disk=/dev/hde
# bios=0x81

#disk=/dev/sda
# bios=0x80

# Specifies the boot device. This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block. It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot=/dev/hda

# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
root=/dev/hda2

# Enable map compaction:
# Tries to merge read requests for adjacent sectors into a single
# read request. This drastically reduces load time and keeps the
# map smaller. Using `compact' is especially recommended when
# booting from a floppy disk. It is disabled here by default
# because it doesn't always work.
#
# compact

# Installs the specified file as the new boot sector
# You have the choice between: bmp, compat, menu and text
# Look in /boot/ and in lilo.conf(5) manpage for details
#
install=/boot/boot-menu.b

# Specifies the location of the map file
#
map=/boot/map

# You can set a password here, and uncomment the `restricted' lines
# in the image definitions below to make it so that a password must
# be typed to boot anything but a default configuration. If a
# command line is given, other than one specified by an `append'
# statement in `lilo.conf', the password will be required, but a
# standard default boot will not require one.
#
# This will, for instance, prevent anyone with access to the
# console from booting with something like `Linux init=/bin/sh',
# and thus becoming `root' without proper authorization.
#
# Note that if you really need this type of security, you will
# likely also want to use `install-mbr' to reconfigure the MBR
# program, as well as set up your BIOS to disallow booting from
# removable disk or CD-ROM, then put a password on getting into the
# BIOS configuration as well. Please RTFM `install-mbr(8)'.
#
# password=tatercounter2000

# Specifies the number of deciseconds (0.1 seconds) LILO should
# wait before booting the first image.
#
delay=30

# You can put a customized boot message up if you like. If you use
# `prompt', and this computer may need to reboot unattended, you
# must specify a `timeout', or it will sit there forever waiting
# for a keypress. `single-key' goes with the `alias' lines in the
# `image' configurations below. eg: You can press `1' to boot
# `Linux', `2' to boot `LinuxOLD', if you uncomment the `alias'.
#
prompt
timeout=150
# prompt
# single-key
# delay=100
# timeout=100

# Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
# here. See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
#
# append=""
append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

# Boot up sexy Linux by default.
#
default=Windows

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD
read-only
optional
# restricted
# alias=2

# i didnt write anything bad here...
# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
# following lines, changing the device name on the `other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
# other=/dev/hda4
# label=HURD
# restricted
# alias=3
other=/dev/hda1
. label=Windows

thats what i have now... hopefully it will work...

jjmac
06-11-2005, 01:02 PM
To me that verbals as ...

Using a 1024x768 screen with 64k colour, with 32 bit LBA enabled ( a good idea) and with the 1st stage installed on the mbr.

If you decide to uninstall Lilo, do "lilo -u" to restore the mbr first. Rather than just over-ewriting its' partition or removing its' table entry then rebooting. Other wise you will still have a lilo 1st stage trying to bootstrap a 2nd stage that either isn't there any more, or it can't find. Incidently, you will find your original/previous mbr stashed in /boot/boot.0300. If you raw copy that to a floppy you will have your original mbr safely stored away on that.

And your booting the 2nd partition on the 1st drive.

>>
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
>>

It, must be an old lilo. Newer versions just use "install=menu" for a menu based 1st stage, or "menu=text" for a text based menu. Which you would set up with the "bootmess.txt" file. In which case you would need a "prompt" option stated as well. The "bootmess.txt" is just layed out to describe your different kernels/systems, with their labels ... to act as a kind of "jogger" to remind you what to type at the prompt.

>>
>>

That would seem to contradict your "menu" choice above. But it may just get ignored, or possibly, try to put(squeeze) a message on top of your graphical menu (grin)

>>
prompt
>>

And puts a "prompt" under your graphical menu. You could use both i suppose. I haven't actually tried that and am now wondering if it might work :D

Ok as long as it dosen't cause any conflict. If it does you will have to just go for one or the other.

>>
timeout=150
>>

15 second to decide, not very long.

>>
default=Windows
>>

no comment there :roll: (grin)

>>
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
>>

Unless you have hw that needs special divers loaded at boot time, that the kernel hasn't got, you shouldn't need an "init.rd"

Seems ok, except for the possible menu thing ... I won't yack on about whether lilo should go on the mbr or not ... it does tend to be one of my pet rants ... but thats were every one puts it :roll:

So .... aside from all that,

As long as windows is on the 1st partition ... highly likely, ... then it should be ok.

Does it boot :D ??.

c-h, what Lilo version are you using, and is the Linux a knoppix hd install or something else ??

I'm kinda thinking of a kernel upgrade to 2.6. It will give you a much faster/smoother desktop compared to 2.4. It does require some package updating though ... but once that stuffs out of the way, it's well worth it. 2.6 deals with module loading differently, and all bootsector type programs would need upgrading. Things like lilo. And "parted" ... especially things like parted. But, only just a thought :)

On your idea. Your kinda getting at something like a cut down enterprise version, specific for small business.... interesting ...

One thing about LiveCds' is that they are amazingly versatile things. They can be used as an actual distro, or a recovery/repair facility ... and also as a convenient and efficient means to "demo" Linux.

Such as a demo to a small business person who may otherwise not have the time to go through a hd install based trial.

So, basically a good idea i guess...

Go over Lilos' manual if you have time, it is worth the read :)

jm

chris-harry
06-12-2005, 06:00 AM
well.. to answer if me meddling worked or not...

IT WORKED!!! and it worked fine... THANK-YOU very much...

jjmac
06-14-2005, 10:02 AM
>>
well.. to answer if me meddling worked or not...

IT WORKED!!! and it worked fine... THANK-YOU very much..
>>

Good (grin) ...

Don't forget that if you remove, or install on top of your Linux, you will be left with a Lilo stage 1 loader that won't be able to find it's second stage.

If you do a raw copy of the /boot/boot.0300 file to a floppy you will have the original (prior) mbr on that floppy. Effectively turning it into a boot disc. Albeit with the table as it existed at that time.

]# lilo -u

will copy the saved mbr (boot.0300) back.

Just mentioning as it is commonly forgotten by lots of people (grin) when they decide to install a new Linux to the existing partition.

-=- Raw copy to floppy -=-
----------------------------

]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 count=1440

Just to get rid of cruft on the floppy.

]# dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/fd0 bs=446 count=1

That'll copy over just the mbr bootstrap.

"bs=512 count=1"

That will include the prior table.

NOTE: Point "dd" the wrong way round, and it __will__ shoot your head off (very_big_grin)

jm

chris-harry
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
wow... alot of info to injest...

chris-harry
06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
well, i did apt-get update, and now, its all... well... screwed!!!!

http://img299.echo.cx/img299/3630/ohshit6ey.gif

http://img299.echo.cx/img299/1797/opps6ic.gif

I can only open few programs, no text editing programs, and i can apt anything, and hardly anything works... PLEASE HELP!! sorry for lack of info, sister is kicking me off... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i dont know what i did wrong...

chris-harry
06-18-2005, 03:52 AM
i know i should be posting this in the helping section, but considering we are on the topic of helping and errors... well... yeah...

chris-harry
06-19-2005, 12:19 AM
ok people... DONT WORRY!!! I'm ok now... i took the switch into debian... and i am doing great.... :twisted: :twisted: its evil... and i can see why some people dont like gnome....

knewbix
06-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Pure Debian? Hmmm I am thinking of doing that one day too. Any bad experiences yet that you wouldn't face with Knoppix? Glad you got it working anyway.

jjmac
06-19-2005, 10:20 AM
>>
Pure Debian? Hmmm
>>

deb <---> knoppix <---> etc ....

My system is a woody 3.0 r0 base from late 2002 thats been largely recompiled/updated with packages which tend to spread over much of 2004. Some from 2005. So i guess it's a kind of woody/sarge/sid combo.

Point being that deb is often mistaken for a distro. It's more a "proof" of concept expression. The whole point to debian is that it shows that a working, viable OS, along with an associated sw collection is possible in a GNU context. Which was an underlining critisism of the FSF when it started up. Proprietry industry said that ... well, the concepts promoted by the FSF are all well and good, but a bit naive.

So, the two "Murdocks" proved them wrong. deb will state in their documentation that their intension is to provide a concept base that can be freely taken by other people in order to create a distro from. And so you have knoppix and a number of other deb based distros as a result.

The main criticism deb seems to attract is the "up-to-dateness" of the sw. Well, thats what "apt-get" is for :).

And like most things ... the info is in the docs, but your gotta look for it :).

That would be my only criticism ... obscure documentation. But then again ... the more you search the more available they seem to be.

deb also, often gets criticised for being a techi distro. Well, that is completely incorrect. It's just that it will do the UNIX like thing, and treat you as though you do have a degree of competence ( of soughts :) )

The system management facility "debconfig" dosen't get in your face. You can over-ride it, or work in conjunction with it, (depending on how you arrange its' comment tags in your config files), or let it control the system configuration.

So it tends to suffer the accusation that a lot of people who just sit quietly not making a lot of noise sometimes get accused of ... that is ... that they must be some sought of freakout intellectual :roll: (ever notice that (grin) ).

>>
Any bad experiences yet that you wouldn't face with Knoppix? Glad you got it working anyway.
>>

Iv'e learnt more from deb than i have from any other OS. But then again iv'e spent more time with it too. So that probably cancels out really. But, ultimately it was "dpkgs'" textual flatness and resulting flexability that convinced me to change over from my RH. The binary file formate of the rpm system used to irritate me no end. As a result of fiddling with things, i would inevitably muck things up. And not being able to get into a binary db, and being to stupid to have made backups (one thing iv'e certainly learned to do now (grin) ), i used to get into some very tight corners. But dpkg solved all that.

When i first started using the knoppix v3.3 LiveCD, and then copying it to disk etc ... frankly ..., iv'e had more screw ups with that than with any othe Linux :) :roll:

>>
Hmmm I am thinking of doing that one day too.
>>

(pssss, wisper ....) your probably already doing deb :wink:

chris-harry

:loll:

>>
well, i did apt-get update, and now, its all... well... screwed!!
>>

If you were to post the exact cli you used, like ... write it down somewhere first ... then also posted all the generated messages as well ... it would make things a lot easier.

Dealing with problems/quieries can be enjoyable ... as it becomes a challenge ... and is often mutually revealing. But it becomes hard work when a person has to guess all the time :). A bit of help wouldn't go astray there :wink:

Just as a general standby, look over your "man apt-get", doing an upgrade ( i figure thats what you mean) isn't a trivial exercise ... there are some preliminary steps that are advisable to be done first...

The ...

-s
--simulate
--dry-run
--no-act
--show-upgraded

switches are worth looking at.

such as :

>>
ok people... DONT WORRY!!! I'm ok now... i took the switch into debian... and i am doing great.... its evil... and i can see why some people dont like gnome....
>>

OK ... but ,... how did you fix it. The information may be helpfull to someone else !

Also, could you post the file-size of those image files. I no there not large, but you never know how tight a persons down-load allocation may be that is reading the post. Like ... i'm running almost on empty now (grin) :)

Glad it's fixed though :)

jm

jm

knewbix
06-19-2005, 10:57 AM
jjmac, first of all, THANKS! Thanks for taking the time to type that up, I appreciate it a lot. A lot of it went over my head because I'm new to this but I get the general idea of it. One thing though:

>>
Hmmm I am thinking of doing that one day too.
>>

(pssss, wisper ....) your probably already doing deb

I realise Knoppix and a lot of other Linux'es are Debian based but I was referring to the Debian. Isn't there just the one main Debian distro, and offshoots like Knoppix are based on that? I assumed that's what Chris-Harry is using now. I probably just got the wrong idea from your post (and emoticon)...bah, just ignore me. But I can just download "pure" Debian right? I picture it as being like Knoppix but without the missing stuff. Lots of times, I go to apt-get a program but it isn't available to Knoppix. Would I be wasting my time getting Debian in the hope that I can apt-get most (more) programs?

About the "Murdocks", do you mean Rupert Murdock? Do you mean there's more than one?!!!! One is enough. Never giving that guy any more of my money! A genuinely evil person. He scares me! Thanks again anyway. Hope I make sense.

chris-harry
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
deb also, often gets criticised for being a techi distro. Well, that is completely incorrect. It's just that it will do the UNIX like thing, and treat you as though you do have a degree of competence ( of soughts Smile ) [/qupte] and if you go in with a lot of confidence... and screw it up... you can always swear alot!

but debian isnt that hard... yes i dont know how to do much! but i am learning... customizing... and trial and error... so far, no error... but knowing i just said that i know something will go wrong...

i'll still come here, because it was knoppix that got me into linux, no one else... knoppix!! KNOPPIX!!! and APC! *shakes fist*

[quote]Pure Debian? Hmmm I am thinking of doing that one day too. Any bad experiences yet that you wouldn't face with Knoppix? Glad you got it working anyway. yes one bad experiance... gnome... its an ok GUI, but i just dont like its layout... thats me opinion... and the bad thing about it is that i havent figured out how to get rid of it at the loggin screen...

its not too much different from knoppix... a few differences here and there... but its still alot like knoppix... i dont think i could of gone strait to debian without knoppix... knoppix is like that medium that eases you into a different situations...

anyway... anyone like me new picture??? i made it meself, its in 3D! i did it all by meself.. i feel so proud! i still have to do a few things to it, but i am so proud of it...

chris-harry
06-20-2005, 12:19 PM
http://img101.echo.cx/img101/8449/tazanbig9iv.jpg here is an inlarged image... i created this picture with blender...

jjmac
06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Howdy knewbix,

All the way up in Cairns, it must be nice and warm there. It is really cold down south at the moment. But, not as it has been in other years at least. I always kinda wish i was up north at this time of year :).

>>
Isn't there just the one main Debian distro, and offshoots like Knoppix are based on that?
>>

Yep, in a nut shell. deb has developed into more of a "de-facto" distro. Rather than having set out with an intention to do so. Just as a result of its' on going development, it's organised to such a degree that it can provide a distribution of the sw collection that makes it up. But a distro as such isn't its' actual focus. It's more of a service they provide, due to deb being at a development stage were they can do so. They welcome people downloading their pakages/iso images to be used as a working OS. It helps to confirm the "proff of concept" and provides feed back from people using the system in a day to day context.

But ... where as an organisation such as RH or SuSE provide a distribution along with associated support, for a fee or other wise ... along with an attempt to make all the sw current. deb dosen't.

debs basic attitude is ... well ... your very welcome, and we don't mind putting to gether an iso snap shot, and actually releasing an expression (distro). But our focus is putting together a collection of usable sw that is both stable and GNU FSF compliant.

The releases like Woody represent the end of a development branch. They get to a stage where they basically can't go much further with that particular branch with out risking disturbing the over-all integrity of the collection as a whole.

So they flag it as an official release, archieve it, then continue with a new one.

Thats basically why Woody was at libc6_2.2.5 and "sarge" is based around the v2.3.2 libc6. With "sid" being the current "unstable" branch. When they have gone as far as they can with Sarge ... it to will be released as a deb concept.

The distinction is subtle, as for all effective purposes it can be thought of as a distro if people so like. As it will function as one.

A person can download or start with any particular snapshot from any of the three main branches ... stable (sarge), testing (pre-sarge) or unstable (sid, might become sarge, might not). hmmmm, hope i got that right :), and then just refresh it on a regular or not so regular basis. Which makes the whole idea of distro version schemes irrelevant. A debian collection can be alsmost anything as a result :).

>>
I probably just got the wrong idea from your post (and emoticon).
>>

hmmm, not sure there. Sorry if i was harsh or anything like that. It surly wasn't my intention :)

>>
But I can just download "pure" Debian right?
>>

Of course :D, way to go ... :) Especially if you have the net facilities. Iv'e been very limited in that regard. I used a 7 cd set from a Linux sw shop in Sydney "everythinglinux.co.au", not sure if their still around, and did incremental upgrading, a few packages ata time ... more due to having no other real choice than as a preference :). But i am glad it worked out that way. It turned into a great adventure :).

>>
I picture it as being like Knoppix but without the missing stuff ...
>>

Similar ... but all Linux distros are similar. The differences basically boil down to the system maintence facilities used, and the package management system. And you also get differences in the way directories are utilised. That is, a rpm system will commonly put "qmake" (from qtutils, kde) in /usr/lib/qt/bin/qmake, where deb will place it in /usr/share/qt/bin/qmake, it being a symlink to /usr/bin. Which makes sense as it is an executable file. But thats just deb being deb :), Being compliant to the File-Sytem-Heirarchy-System (grin). I prefer the later. Not sure hoe knoppix does that but being deb based ... probably the same.

Oh yes .. your quote (grin). Up to date depends on what image your downloading. Knoppix has recent releases and so would be quite upto date. And i believe you can safely point your,

/etc/apt/sources.list

list file to debs' ftp site, or any mirror.

"ftp.debian.org"

As i said, the only complete image i got of deb was woody, and that is out of date. But i think the currently available iso imagaes are quite recent. I believe they will be making a 64 bit collection available soon as well. In deb speak "soon" can have various meanings though :).

I'd just go for it, and stick with the "stable" branch. You may have to do singular updates from an unofficial site to get the latest cutting edge KDE or some other hottly developed project ... but thats incidental really. After all ... thats what googles for :)

>>
Would I be wasting my time getting Debian in the hope that I can apt-get most (more) programs?
>>

No i don't think so.

>>
About the "Murdocks", do you mean Rupert Murdock? Do you mean there's more than one?!!!! One is enough. Never giving that guy any more of my money! A genuinely evil person. He scares me! Thanks again anyway. Hope I make sense.
>>

hehehehe, he scares me too hehehe ... no ... not him.

Debian got its' name from two American college students Ian and Debra Murdock, who decided to see if they could put together a distro based wholly on GNU FSF concepts. They were inspired/influenced a lot by "Slackware" and decided to name their stable releases ater character from the movie "Toystory" ... And its' been going on ever since.

:)

c-h
>>
but knowing i just said that i know something will go wrong.
>>

(grin), one should always plan out their disasters well ... that way there arn't to many surprises :wink:

>>
i havent figured out how to get rid of it at the loggin screen.
>>

Iv'e got some vague memories on that.

Have a look in your .xsessions file, and in your /etc/X11 directory.

You can change the wm you invoke by editing the ~/.xsessions file.

Looking at /etc/inittab and changing the "runlevel" to allow you to boot straight into your "console" might be an idea, for a temp work around. Untill you have your "display manager" configured better.

Inn deb it's commonly Level 2 ...

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

And making sure any reference to start xdm or gdm is prefixed with a "K" rather than a "S", or is removed. Iv'e got that configured in knoppix but it's on another partition at the moment. I'll have to look at that tomorrow and hope to get back on it. It's been so long iv'e forgotten :) ... damnnn. It can be niggling.

There are lots of things you can do. I'll have to extract this script iv'e got and post it. It allows a person to chose between a number of different window manages from a console menu invoked after booting into the console. Nothing that elaborate but iv'e found it really usefull for experimenting with.

jm

knewbix
06-20-2005, 03:05 PM
JM, well, once again, thank you. I think I am understanding the basics of it now, thanks to your explanations. Definitely gonna look into getting this. My only concern is that I'm limited to dialup and I have no credit card/paypal, and there's no stores around here that would even think of stocking Linux products (as far as I'm aware). So I guess I have a long wait ahead of me :lol:

The weather is pretty nice really. Very mild winter and today I was actually sweating! I'm guessing you're in Sydney or Melbourne? One of these days I'm gonna get my stuff together and move to Sydney. I don't even know anyone around here who even has a computer, apart from a friend (Mac) and my parents and sister/brother (Windows). I'll convert them one day. Anyways, thanks again!

edit: forgot to mention: chris, good work. I tried Blender when I was still a windows user and all I ended up with was a sphere coming out of the ground.

chris-harry
06-21-2005, 08:05 AM
[qupte]I'm guessing you're in Sydney or Melbourne? One of these days I'm gonna get my stuff together and move to Sydney[/quote] I live in melbourn... DONT MOVE TO SYDNEY!! i went there once, and didnt like it... too much traffic (because the roads are real bad), and its smells funny...

edit: forgot to mention: chris, good work. I tried Blender when I was still a windows user and all I ended up with was a sphere coming out of the ground.
yeah, i had to add the other side of him...

knewbix
06-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Haha! Well, I've only been to Melbourne when I was a kid and I only saw the insides of the airport en route to Tasmania, but friends have gone there, and I have some online friends there. But Sydney is quite appealing to me. Seems to me like Sydney is all intertwined and complex, and Melbourne is simple, laid out really well. Sydney = Windows, and Melbourne = Linux. I know that doesn't make sense but as someone who grew up in "outback" type places, I love the whole complexity of Sydney. :) I can get over the smell.

chris-harry
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
nah, i love the culture in melbour... it makes your stomach turn to steal after a few of those indian things... man, they are soo nice... i eat a little much of them, and well... their curry... and wow... yummy... *dribbles* aww, man, i need a new shirt

nishtya
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Chris, to get rid of the pita gnome login, apt-get remove gdm. gdm is gnome's login - just removing gnome desktop or switching to KDE doesn't budge that bugger (friend had me trying Fedora, icky, took me ages to remove that gnome login)

chris-harry
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
its not the best login... you like, have to move the mouse to do stuff...

jjmac
06-24-2005, 12:05 PM
>>
apt-get remove gdm
>>

Seems a bit extreme, all thats really needed is to edit the runlevel booted to in /etc/inittab, or to edit the /etc/rdx.d directory. By removing the symlink to the gdm or kdm or xdm script in /etc/init.d

The startup scripts, as invoked by 'startx', or 'startkde' will look in the HOME directory for local versions of xinitrc, xserverrc, xsessions files. deb will include the xsession file, but i believe other distros will differ there. So the global versions can be easily over-ridded. They just need to have a "dot" prefixed to them and be all lower case.

For the display-manager styled startup, the Xsessions file in the display-managers script directory, such as /etc/xdm/Xseesions can be treated similarly. It just needs to be edited to use the one in the HOME directory, if one is available. Something like ...

---------------------------------------------
if [ -f ~/.xsession ] ; then
. ~/.xsession
else
. /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
fi
---------------------------------------------

jm

chris-harry
06-29-2005, 05:06 AM
I DID IT!! FINALLY!! after years of trying... well it felt like years... now, to get the firewall working!!

jjmac
07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
How did you do it ? (grin)

>>
now, to get the firewall working!!
>>

iptables will be a seperate package to your kernel. Geting the lates for your kernel flavour probably wouldn't go astray ...

www.iptables.org

aka

www.netfilter.org

And installing an Intrusion Detector can be fun too ...

www.snort.org

Not a lot seems to happen on the ping level this year though, just the usual few MySQL sniffs from china every so often ... you should have seen all the stuff going down last year though ! ... It was a total cracker free for all (grin) ... it's a bit like candid-camera in a way ... yes, we are being scaned (grin)

jm

chris-harry
07-02-2005, 10:41 AM
thank-you for the links... i'm just downloading them... but i still might need some more help...

jjmac
07-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Not a problem :), its' been a while since i looked into them, so i'll probably have to go over that a bit.

Aside from the compile/install or package install ... the table configuration is the thing that most people find tricky.

There are a number of front-ends around to automate that "Guard Dog" being popular. There are a few though.

Script/manual config isn't that hard though ... and differes considerably depending on your setup.

For an ordinary home-user like myself, just on dialup, it wasn't that involved.

Basicaly it is just a list of rules ... which involve a pattern to match to, and a target to jump to when matched.

The pattern can be a specific port, a specific address, a range of those ... or it can involve state. Such as whether the packet has its' "SYN" bit set or not, or if it's an AKN (acknoledgement) packet.

Your targets are basically "Accept", "LOG" or "DROP", and you can have user defined targets. Which are good for organising the handleing of different packet protocols.

Snort is a good system too, for getting a look at what kind of activity is actually hanging around your connection.

I get the feeling you may well find it quite fun putting together. And, of course ... it does give one a certain sence of control/power over their box (grin)

An essential facility really ...

:)

jm

chris-harry
07-02-2005, 02:34 PM
i'm really c*** at compiling, no matter what i do, i fail... how do you do it... and do you have screen shots of doing it??

jjmac
07-05-2005, 12:00 PM
>>
screen shots
>>

hehehe, ... no, not really (grin)

There's a program around called 'checkinstall' that a lot of people use to create packages from raw compiles. It will do deb, slack and rpm packaging. You may find that usefull ..... but as far as compiling goes ... it's quite straight forward. It does, like most things, depend on how attentive the developer/maintainer was when they put it together though :).

You just expand a compressed sorce file package in some convieniant place, and then spend a bit of time going over the documentation. After doing that it usually just a matter of doing ...

]$ ./configure
]$ make
]# make install

The last usually requires root permissions.

Redirecting those to log files is recomended too. So as to provide a means of tracing back over the processes, such as ...

./configure 2>&1 |tee zconfig-out.log

Making a backup of the generated Makefile is a good idea as well, you could also add CFLAG switches to further optimise the compile for your particular processor.

The only real cavet would be in keeping track of what gets put where ... so, some way of packaging it for the distro type tends to be handy .. thus, "checkinstall"

Iv'e been known to install an out of date deb package, then compile the latest source with the configue switches that govern where things go, set to reflect that. Then just installed on top of it. Messy (grin), and not that professional, but what the heck ... it worked at the time.

]$ ./configure --help will give you all the information needed for the source concerned. The output there may vary in some respects depending on the source.

The only thing that might crop up would involve development packages that may not be on the system, but are required for the installation. Basically just header files and statick libraries used for the build.

debs main site can give a good run down on what a particular source may require.

With debian ... you could try down loading the three files that make up a particular source set. Preferably from stable or testing rather than sid. That just involves ...

package.orig.tar.gz
package.diff.gz
pacage.dsc

You put those in a directory and do ...

]$ dpkg-source -x package.dsc
]$ cd <package_directory>
]$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfackroot

If your lucky that should generate a nice new set of deb packages ready to install on any debian based system. But (grin), one must always remember ... deb will be deb :roll:

Again the main problem will involve library dependencies. deb tends to keep them tight (grin)

But where there's a will there's a way. Things like ... it wants tdk4.0 abd your've got v3.8 ... hmmmmm, just edit the ",dsc" file, and possibly the "control" file in the debian subdirectory of the package directory.

Oh yes, have a look in the Makefile for a variable called "DESTDIR=". It isn't always there, but often is. If it is found, and it's not a deb build, if you give it a directory path, the install will be made under the directory that it points to.

It can be handy to use for an initial test install, just to get a handle on just how many files there are and where theregoing to be placed. Then just set it back to null and run it again.

It usually works out smoothly though, and can be a lot of fun ...

Just jump straight in :).

jm

chris-harry
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
guess what... i did it... HORAY!! finally, something successful...

and i apt-get updated sucessfully
and downloaded k3b successfully
and also passed at shields up... got %100...
perfect...

and the firewall is working perfectly... yay!!

chris-harry
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
how do i run snort??

jjmac
07-12-2005, 03:57 AM
If you install via a deb pakage, the installation should also setup it's start up configuration. I disable its' starting within a runlevel, as i figure it's no needed as a daemon when i'm not on-line.

So i start it via a script run as part of ppp starting up ...

/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/snort.

Its main configuration will involve a set of files found in

/etc/snort/
snort.conf, snort.debian.conf and snort.rules.include being the main ones to look at.

It will probably take a bit of tweaking as there a various leves that snort can operate on. It can do full packet sniffing, or youcan restrict it to just sniff the headers etc.

It's a nice utility, and quite interesting to investigate. And it will involve some documentation reading (grin).

I would even say it should be thought of as an essential package.

So ... you got iptables working. What did you actually do there for the configuration issues ?

jm

chris-harry
07-18-2005, 04:09 AM
>>you got iptables working. What did you actually do there for the configuration issues ?<< way to tired to know what this means... really tired...

anyway... spotted something on BSG, the girl says "We should get a copy of your brain patterns"... if they made him, they would already have a copy of his brain patterns... SO...

is he a cylon??? *dramatic music*

jjmac
07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
>>
>>>>you got iptables working. What did you actually do there for the configuration issues ?<<<< way to tired to know what this means... really tired...
>>

The rule sets used ...

jm

chris-harry
07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
well... i had to switch to xandros... for a simple reason... me brother and sister are starting to use linux... and they know nothing about it... so xandros is for them...

anyway... getting the firewalls again... :D:D

chris-harry
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
how long has it taken you to loy in when you str p[iddrf.... pissed.... sit tookm e about 6 turns.... i forgot me paswords...... and everything is wow.... i fogrot what i was going to say... i like to dance... please ignor tyhis because i have been drinkings alot... wooow... the world is n 32two... ehehe....

jjmac
08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
drinking hints: #34527856

Alway make sure the cd is sitting flat in its' tray, before actually closing the tray.

I found out a little to late, last year :roll:

jm

chris-harry
08-01-2005, 01:42 PM
haaha... i have a cd rom drive, that shuts randomly when your pulling a cd out of it... its already eaten one already... Opps, i must of visited when drunk... EEK!! dont ask what i was trying to say...

jjmac
08-02-2005, 11:28 AM
It burnt the transformer/coil on the cdplayer board that drives the cdrom (Aiwa). Bugger (grin). No other fault than my own ...

edit: (Awia) -> (Aiwa)

jm

chris-harry
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
dont you hate that... its annoying isnt it...

well, i've been busy.... animating and that... for me new flash series... making songs... yada yada... you know... stuff like that.... :D:D its been fun...

chris-harry
08-18-2005, 04:09 AM
well... i had to switch to xandros... for a simple reason... me brother and sister are starting to use linux... and they know nothing about it... so xandros is for them...

anyway... getting the firewalls again... I have done two things... i've got a laptop without a working CD-rom drive, so i installed Debian on that... getting the GUI working tonight... please work... pitty i cant get knoppix on it... dont have a stick...

i also have mandrake (or what every the new name is called now) on the main computer (the faster one)... just trying it... its ok... i dont like its updating thing... i think i like debians apt-get install function in the command promt... dont know why... but seems less messy???

btw, i still use knoppix for anyone wanting to know... its been great fun...

also great news... me families windows partion on the main computer is screwed!! big time... you cant open up a single thing... its funny... haha... hehe... and they are forced to use linux... mwahahaha... sorry, the evilness must be comming out again... ehehehehe

Cuddles
08-18-2005, 01:59 PM

also great news... me families windows partion on the main computer is screwed!! big time... you cant open up a single thing... its funny... haha... hehe... and they are forced to use linux... mwahahaha... sorry, the evilness must be comming out again... ehehehehe

Chris-Harry,

amazing just how easy it is to get someone to switch to Linux, huh? Either that, or its just amazing how easy it is to get Windows screwed up... Anyway, I must admit, the horns are showing, there, Chris-Harry, just a little... Maybe, its time to buy your pitch-fork, and red suit?

I am quite sure they will "transition" just fine, just keep them away from the Command Line, and some of those Linux Cryptic Commands, and let them roam around the GUI for a while - they might just realize that Linux is pretty close to the same look-n-feel, of Windows? Maybe after a week, or so, you can give 'em the ol' "Memorex or Live" test? Is it "Windows", or is it "Linux"?

Anywho, people are resistant to change, and, will fight it with as much strength as they can, to avoid it... Once they get used to it, they usually find, the change is oftern better than the previous. More often than not, once the change gets over its "new-ness", most people wouldnt go back to the original way, or thing.

Hope everything turns out, for you, and the family,
Ms. Cuddles

ckamin
08-18-2005, 09:30 PM
To make the Windows to Knoppix transition easier, get the appropriate image from the following link and set it as the windows wallpaper. Once they get used to it, then you can boot them into knoppix and they would barely know the difference. It just wouldn't crash as much and might seem faster overall.

Screenshot images link provided by Underscore in a previous post elsewhere:

http://virtualacuity.com/james/knoppix-other/knop40/

I got yelled at for running Knoppix when someone saw the Knoppix backround on my windows machine. They finally realized it was still windows, but it looked better!

chris-harry
08-20-2005, 02:04 PM
i dont get why people like windows... me brother and sister started playing super tux... i just fiinished the game... they think its fun...

chris-harry
09-14-2005, 04:06 AM
ok... back on debian for the main computer... mainly because i was using the mandrake special edition... and it didnt exactly work out for me... i didnt like the look of it... and i think i just got too use to debians layout and stuff...

we finally got a real copy of xp... *shivers* WHY!! WHY!! and already its deciding not to work... *shakes fist at XP cd*...

and thats me life at the moment... very hecktic... and boaring...

chris-harry
09-26-2005, 12:27 PM
I HATE WINDOWS BECAUSE ITS SO SLOW!! GAH!!! BUNKINS!!! ok ok... me main computer, family thought the windows problems was caused by linux *sneazed bull***** anyway... least i still have debian on me laptop... and i have used knoppix 7 times to recover data off the computer (every time the stupid windows f* **ed up. without linux's fault)... and now, that i have proof... they wont let me have me linux back... and its taking forever to load windows on... gah... i would of installed debian on by now... gah.... it takes less than 45 minutes to install knoppix/debian on... gah.... ME FMILY IS MEAN!!!

jjmac
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Is the XP firewalled when it goes online ?

jm

chris-harry
09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
yep... but does that even stop anything??

sakiZ
09-29-2005, 04:50 PM
It stops most stuff. Theoretically at least.

But it has a "secret" (yeah, right) backdoor that Microsoft uses so that it can get into your system.

This "secret" port is widely known to the hacking community.

sakiZ

chris-harry
10-01-2005, 05:33 AM
well... windows doesnt want to work... after a few reboots, it doesnt want to work... anyway... i have an old hard drive in me old computer with dual boot (knoppix and 98)...

i think it has to do with either the bios or the hard drive...

jjmac
10-05-2005, 12:13 PM
sakiz :D

>>
It stops most stuff. Theoretically at least.

But it has a "secret" (yeah, right) backdoor that Microsoft uses so that it can get into your system.

>>

pray tell (grin)

Like ... which one do you mean (grin)

jm

chris-harry
10-05-2005, 11:10 PM
there are so many, that i have given xp the nickname sive...

you can drain paster in it...

jjmac
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
>>
>>

Ha, you don't mean the auto update facility do you (grin), noe theres a smirf for you.

>>
you can drain paster in it...
>>

Or make that stuff that looks like long worms covered in blood (tomato sauce) :)

I know what it is but can't @#%$^ spell it :)

jm

chris-harry
10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
well, who can speel on this board???

chris-harry
11-11-2005, 01:14 AM
I JUST FINISHED SCHOOL!! BRING ON THE WORLD... YEAH... JUST HAD THE LAST EXAM, A CHEM EXAM... YEAH...