PDA

View Full Version : Kppp will initialize Modem, Dial, but then disconnect

mgpope
04-14-2003, 06:36 AM
Hello, Everyone. Thank You for allowing me to visit here...
I am having a problem with my Kppp Dial Configuration window. I was able to find the proper com port in linux, but all Kppp will do is to initialize the modem, dial, and after the service connects, I can hear the "digital bird", but then it immediately disconnects, or times out, as you guys say....I am at a lost. I am using a Pentium I, 133 MHZ with 82 MB ram, and a 100 MB knoppix.swp. Everything else works but the dial up. What gives?

Thanks, from a guy with bags under his eyes......(Mike)

raymond
04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
hi

I use a mobile phone to dail out when i'm on the road, and did also not got kppp to work...however you can use pppconfig (in a root console) you can config this much better and if you persist to make any chanches more then you can do in pppconfig, edit the files in /etc/chatscripts and /etc/ppp/peers/

if you make " provider" the default you only have to type "pon" in a root console to start up your dailup an "poff" to stop it.

just give it a try, it's easier then you think!

Raymond

VeeDubb
04-15-2003, 04:24 AM
It could also be something as simple as a wrong user name and password. Double check those and remember, many ISP's such as MSN, make you use MSN/username or username@earthlink.net Something along those lines.

Dave_Bechtel
04-15-2003, 11:17 PM
--check the kppp error log (there should be an option to enable it.) Also try different verification techniques, such as PAP or CHAP. Try posting which ISP you are using, maybe somebody here knows the right method for it.

It could also be something as simple as a wrong user name and password. Double check those and remember, many ISP's such as MSN, make you use MSN/username or username@earthlink.net Something along those lines.

raymond
04-16-2003, 08:35 PM
it could also be the case that your isp does not support chap or pap, in that case you need to write a chat script to login.

when your modem is dailing type this on the command line (as root)

tail -f /var/log/messages

then you can see what is going on.