PDA

View Full Version : How to disable login as root with no pwd when fsck is forced

Xevi
05-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Dear people:

I'm new using Linux, and I've choose Knoppix because seems so easy to install and have common applications to work.
First of all, excuse me because my english is so poor.
Second, excuse me if my doubt is so trivial and I've been able to find this information.

The question
============
At work, when there's any electric problem that reboots my computer, the system boots and forces a fsck. At the end, shows a "CTRL+D to exit this shell and reboot" message.

The main partition is mounted as root in read only mode, and anyone could mount this partition as rw so easily as root (system doesn't request root's password).

Is there any way to disable this fsck as root? Or allow it, but requesting password?

I've thought that I could allow BIOS password at startup, but it's not an elegant solution...

I've been reading FAQs, looking over Internet and reading some messages of this forum, but I don't know if is there any way to do it.

Thanks,

Dave_Bechtel
05-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Err... Have you thought about turning the computer off when you're not there? Or purchasing a UPS? ;-)

--Yah, I know, not exactly what you asked, but I'm trying to help outside the box.

--Are you using a journalled filesystem? (ext3, reiserfs, etc)

Dear people:

I'm new using Linux, and I've choose Knoppix because seems so easy to install and have common applications to work.
Second, excuse me if my doubt is so trivial and I've been able to find this information.

The question
============
At work, when there's any electric problem that reboots my computer, the system boots and forces a fsck. At the end, shows a "CTRL+D to exit this shell and reboot" message.

The main partition is mounted as root in read only mode, and anyone could mount this partition as rw so easily as root (system doesn't request root's password).

Is there any way to disable this fsck as root? Or allow it, but requesting password?

I've thought that I could allow BIOS password at startup, but it's not an elegant solution...

I've been reading FAQs, looking over Internet and reading some messages of this forum, but I don't know if is there any way to do it.

Thanks,

Xevi
05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your answer, Dave.

I have some scripts running every night. A UPS is expensive; must be better password-protect the computer in Bios menu... so thanks for your suggestion.

I'm using ext3.

Regards,

Xevi

Err... Have you thought about turning the computer off when you're not there? Or purchasing a UPS? ;-)

--Yah, I know, not exactly what you asked, but I'm trying to help outside the box.

--Are you using a journalled filesystem? (ext3, reiserfs, etc)

Dear people:

The question
============

Thanks,