PDA

View Full Version : Samba newbie: How to see files on Knoppix with WinXP

vosgym
05-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Hello,

I have a desktop using Knoppix 3.2 (HD) and a laptop using XP-pro. Both are connected with a ethernet Hub.

This weekend I was very exited because a was able to mount a XP share via my Knoppix Desktop. Also i was able to mount the external USB harddrive, wich is connected to my laptop.

But i was not able to see files the other way around: from Win Xp to Knoppix. I've tried to make a shared folder in knoppix. Wich i am confidend that i succeded. But in WinExplorer no shared map was found.

When I did
smbclient -L//192.168.x.x (knoppix). the system said that access was refused.

Can someone please help my,
Tnx[/code]

Charms
05-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Hmmm, I'm having similar problems, is why I posted in this thread.

I'm having trouble with my Win xp computer "seeing" my Knoppix 3.7 computer, I have them connected via a cable/dsl router.
I have not had much experience with Linux, started using it because it is free and can run from live cd, I've learned how to run Folding@Home on it fairly well though, just want to be able to "share" the Folding files so I can view progress on a windows machine using Windows xp. Any ideas?

ljrjlr
05-13-2005, 05:06 AM
I am having the same problem but I have WINDOWS 98 se.
I have gone round and round with this. I replaced knoppix with 98 and then went back because 98 I had to find all kinds of Drivers that were not on the disk. I can see the Windows drives on KNOPPIX but not the knoppix on Windows here my setup.
[global]
workgroup = MYGROUP
netbios name = MYcomp
security = share
[data]
comment = Data
path = /home/jrichards
force user = jrichards
force group = user
read only = no
guest ok = yes

I Have been working on this for weeks Help