PDA

View Full Version : Help!

jcohen
05-10-2005, 07:14 AM
when installing knoppix (3.7) i have run across a problem that can only be defined as infuriating, everything runs smoothly up until it starts copying files, when it is almost completely finished (~95%) the computer freezes. i am very new to using knoppix (i'm a recovering win98 user) so i haven't the slightest idea of what to do.

Leipe_Po
05-10-2005, 08:10 AM
maybe download the image again, and burn it to a cd, its possible you cd is somewhat broken or uncomplete.....

jcohen
05-10-2005, 08:57 AM
i can't do that, i got the disk from a friend and i don't have a burner (my current budget is $0 US)

fingers99
05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Try booting the CD with the cheatcode testcd

So, when you see the

boot:

prompt type testcd so it looks like:

boot: testcd

I suspect your mate may have messed up the burn in some way, and this will tell you definitively whether he/she has. Without knowing that the burn's good or bad, we're pretty much stuck.

jcohen
05-15-2005, 11:39 PM
the cd is fine, my theory is that it's something to do with the partition

jcohen
05-16-2005, 05:14 AM
oops, it's not the partition, the jumper on the hard disk was in the wrong spot causing it to be primary slave with disk space restricted to 2.7 Gb. that problem has been fixed but i've now run into some new problems, file copying completes but the root shell gives out a ton of `bus errors' (~30,000 of them) after which the computer freezes like before.