PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Help.

Crono
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Well, i am/was a windows person, and i got up one day and decided that windows sucks, so. i downlaoded knoppix, gotit on to a cd and tried it from the cdrom and ti was all jolly good and well..

but my problem is, 1 how do i get not kde applicaitons to run? [basicly...windows crap [yahoo,mirc,firefox,etc..], why you might ask?..well, i have cable internet..i connect to the ent through a LAN, i conncet to the LAN through a wireless USB adapter, well, knoppix doesn't know what my usb adapter is [tells me that it is unknown usb device..or soemthign similar], so i figured i need the drivers [?], but they are on a cd made for windows

i am goign to eventually install knoppix on my pc permenatly..and destroy all my windows crap for ever, but todo this..i have to have the internet [at least], i have heard there are many linux frindly alternatives to yahoo, irc, firefox..etc...

most though, i will be useing it to play games, such as UT, Quake, Doom, Hl, Diablo 2...etc [maby not diablo 2..i heard it wasn't really good with linux...but whatever], and consequantly..these are all..*windows* apps, and i can't get them to run

OR

i might jsut install knoppix all together and then go from there..as i only have one cdrom, and i can't take the knoppic cd out WHILE i am usieng knoppix, i have a 8gb hard drive..and i am told that was enough for knoppix as it isonly 2gb [?]....though, i wouldn't midn getting rid of the apps in knoppix that i am NEVER goign to use..as they are jsut extra space [such as all the office crap..i'm never going to use thta sutff]

so, i am kinda in a pickle

[also, is there any veriant of MSN messenger for linux?, as i sue msn messenger ALOT]

thanks in advance

Crono

bigkahuna
05-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Crono,

Welcome to Linux! I had the same "revelation" about 6 months ago after being a Windoze user since version 1.0. Although I can't offer any specific advice, here's a couple bits:

1. To get your wireless card working, I'd first do a search of this forum, the Kanotix forum and the Debian forum with the make and model of your card. If that doesn't find the info you need, try doing a google of the card model and "linux". I've found all sorts of info this way. FYI, -very- few manufacturers provide Linux drivers for anything, just the same, there are drivers out there for almost everything, it's just a matter of finding them and manually installing them.

2. If you plan on doing a HD install, I'd recommend you try Kanotix. It's a more "HD install" oriented off-shoot of Knoppix. I installed Kanotix 2005-1 about 2 weeks ago and it has everything you listed and more http://kanotix.net/

3. I haven't tried playing Windoze games under Linux yet, but if that's something you want to do, then you'll want to become intimately familliar with "Wine" http://winehq.org/

Hope this helps,

Paul

Crono
05-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Ok, It's not a network card...it's a Linksys Wireless Adapter, and it doesn't use drivers...it's plug and play....but linux doesn't recognize it. I will prolly keep knoppix, as i am used to it so far with all the tweaking.

Crono
05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Thank you, i have figured everyhting out on my own though.