PDA

View Full Version : mounting writable fat32 partition at startup

laughingboy
05-11-2005, 04:38 AM
All,

I've searched the forums and googled for this without any luck. I'm running Knoppix 8.3.1 and trying to get my fat32 partition to automatically be mounted read/write on startup.

I start knoppix with the cheat code: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hde1 myconfig=/dev/uba1

/dev/hde1 is mounted as /cdrom and is read only.

I want it to be mounted as /mnt/hde1 and read/write.

I tried changing the fstab file as follows:

/dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat users,exec,rw,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0 # I added this line
# Added by KNOPPIX
#/dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0 # I commented out this line

I saved my config to my usb jumpdrive /dev/uba1 and rebooted.

This change had no effect, but the fstab file still has my changes. Is Knoppix loading my fstab from config too late to have an effect?

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Mike

CrashedAgain
05-12-2005, 11:02 PM
It should work if you replace 'noauto' with 'auto' instead of just removing 'noauto'.

ie:
/dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat auto,users,exec,rw,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knopp ix 0 0

If you find that your fstab is changing with each boot, the cheatcode 'nofstab' will correct that.

I don't understand why your /dev/hde1 would be mounted as /cdrom, even your original fstab has it mounting as /mnt/hde1.

'mount -a' (as root) should mount everything as specified in your fstab.

laughingboy
05-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I don't understand why your /dev/hde1 would be mounted as /cdrom, even your original fstab has it mounting as /mnt/hde1

OK, I did more testing and discovered that /cdrom is being used as the mount point because I'm using the fromhd=/dev/hde1 cheat code.

If I don't use this cheat code and let knoppix load from the CD, then that becomes /cdrom. /dev/hde1 is not mounted at all, but I can do a "mount -a" and then it will be mounted rw. Note: this behaviour is the same whether or not the auto option is in the fstab for /dev/hde1

Using the fromhd cheat code mounts /dev/hde1 as /cdrom. (This must be necessary to load the image, since /cdrom does not appear in the fstab). Doing a "mount -a" at this point fails because the device is already mounted.

Of course, I want to run with the cheat code for performance reasons. Is there any way to do this?