PDA

View Full Version : Monitor locked to 60Hz in w2k regarding new kernel/xfree

mino
04-14-2003, 01:00 PM
I've used Knoppix's 3.1 CD just only once(before an hour), but it makes me veeery angry!

After i reboot to w2k my display driver was unable to set refresh rate on my Samsung monitor(96kHz) higher than 60Hz. It is, of course, inacceptable for me.

I tried to completely uninstal display driver(R8500) and also monitor driver, but after reinstalling it is the same!!!

I mean, that when I exit knoppix, I should'nt select:"save session" or so.

My monitor is al the time running on PP(++) mode, despite it has NEVER before used this mode !!!.

At last, it is now unable to reach resolution upper 1600x1200 (more is virtual desktop) despite before 2048x1536x60Hz, makes no problem.

I hope someone could help me, cause this is VERY BIG PROBLEM for me.

Knoppix, i like it, it's nice and usefull, but this event makes me very carefull.

!! PLS HELP ME !!!

Sorry about my english, I'm slovak, so it's not very well.

Loper
04-14-2003, 04:59 PM
I've used Knoppix's 2.1 CD just only once (before an hour), but it makes me veeery angry! AfterI reboot to w2k my display driver was unable to set refresh rate on my Samsung monitor (96kHz) higher than 60Hz..
60 Hz vertical refresh locking is a known problem with Win 2000 & Win XP. Drivers don't affect this -- Knoppix also should not have affected this. There are relatively easy work arounds. One is to go to http://download.guru3d.com then Videocard utilities :: Overclocking and Tweaking and download the file RefreshForce 1.1, which takes care of that problem. It is a Windows problem, not the fault of Linux.

I recommend also that you obtain a newer version of Knoppix. If you are using 2.1, realize that the version is up to 3.2, current as of 10 April 2003.

If you continue to have problems, more detail on your system would be helpful. Good luck; we are here to help.

mino
04-14-2003, 09:05 PM
I've used Knoppix's 2.1 CD just only once (before an hour), but it makes me veeery angry! AfterI reboot to w2k my display driver was unable to set refresh rate on my Samsung monitor (96kHz) higher than 60Hz..
60 Hz vertical refresh locking is a known problem with Win 2000 & Win XP. Drivers don't affect this -- Knoppix also should not have affected this. There are relatively easy work arounds. One is to go to http://download.guru3d.com then Videocard utilities :: Overclocking and Tweaking and download the file RefreshForce 1.1, which takes care of that problem. It is a Windows problem, not the fault of Linux.

I recommend also that you obtain a newer version of Knoppix. If you are using 2.1, realize that the version is up to 3.2, current as of 10 April 2003.

If you continue to have problems, more detail on your system would be helpful. Good luck; we are here to help.

At first-It's 3.1version -little manifold.

My PC: TB1700+ B0@2100+/1.28V!passive |QDI KD7A v2.0 |256DDR 266 Apacer CL2 | ManLi R8500@279/261DDR | 30G Maxtor Fireball3 5400 | SiS900 LAN....and no in/out device except LAN (for now borowed RW Plextor)

So, the problem is just solved, The Knoppix configures my monitor hardly so no win32 driver/application was able to contact monitor- it apears to be locked by some way... to 60Hz(++). I had to contact Samsung support, they advised me to call "recall" (I think some kind of reset) in monitor on-screen menu and after reboot It was allright except fact that I had to configure some resolution again:(

As result I wana say that makes bad image about Knoppix in my memmory.
I will never use it again in case I have no time for such experiments - with all respect to its programmers.

Thanks for your reply.

aay
04-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Knoppix works with tons of monitors. The problem is with Samsung. If you choose not to use Knoppix because of an experience you had with Samsung, that's your choice. For me Knoppix is more valuable than any particular monitor I have so I simply wouldn't buy any more Samsung monitors.

Loper
04-15-2003, 02:52 AM
The Knoppix configures my monitor hardly so no win32 driver/application was able to contact monitor- it apears to be locked by some way... to 60Hz(++). I had to contact Samsung support, they advised me to call "recall" (I think some kind of reset) in monitor on-screen menu and after reboot It was all right except fact that I had to configure some resolution again:(
As a professional monitor repairman, I must say that I have never heard a story quite like this one. Clearly, the firmware in the monitor is more than a little screwed-up. Combine that with the Win2K problems I mentioned in my earlier post and I can see what happened.

Please don't hold this against Knoppix -- even Samsung is only partially to blame...

mabhatter
04-15-2003, 06:59 AM
First realize that most Alt OSes will have similar problems. Heavily proprietary monitors [and other hardware] tend to "sneak" extra stuff in the drivers for windows that they don't document to anyone else. Knoppix is stuck to playing by the published rules [or whatever they can figure out!]. More than likely, the monitor has some circutry to "detect" the video signal setup and somehow knows that the computer was changed. Also, Knoppix [most hardware setups] tends to guess at frequencies starting at a defined safe one and working up to what it thinks the hardware can handle. Again, unless Samsung documents what was going on nobody else can fix it--don't blame Knoppix!

Don't stop using linux, just spend a little more time figuring out the quirks of your monitor and you'll be happy! Now that you know how to fix it, it shouldn't be a problem next time! Please try Knoppix out again!

The english is pretty good too!

mino
04-15-2003, 11:24 AM
As a professional monitor repairman, I must say that I have never heard a story quite like this one. Clearly, the firmware in the monitor is more than a little screwed-up. Combine that with the Win2K problems I mentioned in my earlier post and I can see what happened.

Please don't hold this against Knoppix -- even Samsung is only partially to blame...

Before it happpens i can't imagine it too... (monitor has memory+usb cable)

For others: It's new monitor and costs me 400$, which in my country means 1.5-times average month income.(but i'm a student...).

For now, there is no software for me with higher value than this monitor(by the way it's very good).

I say only my opinion, fact is taht knoppix(no one knows how) lock my monitor for 60 Hz and THIS WAS NOT PROBLEM OF OPERATING SYSTEM because it works 60 under : w2k,w98,but also red hat!

Maybe it's caused by incompatibility between drivers - knoppix maybe used mode, which other drivers don't know=> they could'nt identify and initialize monitor on startup.

But it's allready not important.

Best regards.

mino
04-15-2003, 11:35 AM
First realize that most Alt OSes will have similar problems. Heavily proprietary monitors [and other hardware] tend to "sneak" extra stuff in the drivers for windows that they don't document to anyone else. Knoppix is stuck to playing by the published rules [or whatever they can figure out!]. More than likely, the monitor has some circutry to "detect" the video signal setup and somehow knows that the computer was changed. Also, Knoppix [most hardware setups] tends to guess at frequencies starting at a defined safe one and working up to what it thinks the hardware can handle. Again, unless Samsung documents what was going on nobody else can fix it--don't blame Knoppix!

Don't stop using linux, just spend a little more time figuring out the quirks of your monitor and you'll be happy! Now that you know how to fix it, it shouldn't be a problem next time! Please try Knoppix out again!

The english is pretty good too!

I mean you're mostly all right, but I had to reconfigure most of my display modes that were in monitor's memory before - it means ~15 - and it's not acceptable "solution" for me...

Update: I was surprised by knoppix, nor linux... until now:)

mino
04-16-2003, 11:33 AM
I install on my comp new red hat 9 , and discover thus the problem is not in knoppix but is, I mean, general for this kernel/xfree...

Previous free/kernel - 2.4.14/mandrake 8.1 makes me no problem before...