PDA

View Full Version : CD Eject and installing files

macstrat
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
i have a few questions regarding the cd eject and instilation of debian packages in knoppix 3.6 after a HDD instilation. this machine is not networked in anyway whatsoever

1. knoppix reads my cd drive fine. it lets me put in a cd and read it but when i goto eject the cd it will not eject unless i reboot the machine. is there anyway that i can eject the cd without having to reboot the computer? bothe the eject option and the button on the drive itself seem inoperable after it loads a cd.

2. i understand that knoppix is debian based. yet it refuses to load any debian packages. what do i have to do in order to a.) get it to install debian packages such as VLC, mplayer, blender, and other 3rd party software of the like and b.) install 3rd party hardware drivers so that i can possible get it networked via wifi

thx
-macstrat

Markus
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
1) The cd won't eject until you unmount it with "umount /cdrom" or where ever you have mounted it. Also you need to cd out of /cdrom or browse out from it in konqueror.

2) Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list for mplayer and do "dselect update" afterwards.
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

vlc and blender should be installable from the debian repositories. Note that knoppix can break up when installing packages so always simulate the install with -s.

marhleet
05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I noticed the non-eject problem.
i figured it was a running from the CD feature.

as everything is off of the cd, it wouldn't be wise to try and do anything in the live-CD knoppix without it.

Markus
05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Since he posted in the hd install section I thought it is a hd install and not running from the cd. I also just noted that the computer isn't connected to a network. Installing packages via klik should work though.

macstrat
05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
i have installed knoppix on my HD, a 20G maxor drive adn a 40G seagate drive for storage, i was able to eject the cd once with umount /cdrom and that was the only time, after trying to copy files from the cdrom i ran into another problem...which i will post in another post, but it keeps saying that eject /dev/cdrom failed. should i just get another drive?