PDA

View Full Version : Connection with cable mode

HoBiT
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi!

I don't know how to connect to internet with cable modem and which information I need (IP, gateway...)

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi!

I don't know how to connect to internet with cable modem and which information I need (IP, gateway...)
Ethernet based cable modem? (only acceptable answer is yes)

For most U.S. cable services it should just work, you plug the computer into the cable box and Knoppix gets all it's needed setting by DHCP. I would expect the same for Europe.

However, if some cable company insist on doing things differently or assigning you setting that you manualy need to configure then you may have to do a manual netcardconfig if you are directly plugged into the cable modem.

By far the best way to use a high speed connection is to use an inexpensive home DSL/cable router. These little devices have become extremely cheap (often $10 or less after a rebate in the US) and will take care of all of the needed setting for you. If you do need to manually set IP addreses or anything else you can do so easily by a web interface. After that the router sets up Knoppix and Windows systems by DHCP. It provides a very important extra hardware firewall for protection, and lets you run a local network that can all share the single internet connection. I would never run Windows on a high speed connection without one, and although Knoppix is currently less vulnerable to attacks, I see no reason to run Knoppix that way either.