PDA

View Full Version : How to write on a ntfs Drive?

oizo
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
First of all: Excuse my bad english!
I need to repair a crashed Win2000 System. All i have to do is copy some files to /system32, but the Harddisk is formated in NTFS.
When I right-click the hdd icon on the desktop and choose "make read/writeable" a warning tells me not to write to an NTFS partition! Data corruption may result. I should use the captive-ntfs drivers or try to manualy write on the partition.
But how do i do that? Where can i find the right captive-ntfs driver pakage and how to install it?

thank you!
stefan

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
First of all: Excuse my bad english!
I need to repair a crashed Win2000 System. All i have to do is copy some files to /system32, but the Harddisk is formated in NTFS.
When I right-click the hdd icon on the desktop and choose "make read/writeable" a warning tells me not to write to an NTFS partition! Data corruption may result. I should use the captive-ntfs drivers or try to manualy write on the partition.
But how do i do that? Where can i find the right captive-ntfs driver pakage and how to install it?

thank you!
stefan
From what I saw posted (no actual experience using it) captive seemed to lower but not eliminate the chance of destroying your data. I don't think there has been any work done on it in a while and it has apparently been dropped from the most recent Knoppix. My thinking is to avoid it. Your best bet is to recover what you feel you need to from the corrupt system (to an external device, CD or DVD, or another computer on a network) and then completely repartition and reinstall from your original disks.

Win2000 used NTFS???

oizo
05-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Thank you for your answer.
Backup the Datas is the first i'll do, before starting any experiments.
But i think copying the file could be the easiest way to recover the system. I want to try it.
Where can i find more Information how to activate captive ntfs with knoppix?

And Windows 2000 Pro has NTFS support.

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
...But i think copying the file could be the easiest way to recover the system. I want to try it.
Where can i find more Information how to activate captive ntfs with knoppix?
I guess Google, beyond that I do not provide any advice that would actually encourage people to use it.