PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover

wannessmet
05-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi I have a small network now (or trying to establish connection) and having some troubles.

(using knoppix 3.8.1CeBIT and 3.6)

I have a desktop pc with 2 eth devices:
-> /dev/eth0 -> going to my laptop which is not connected to the internet
-> /dev/eth1 -> the connection to the internet.

When I startup cleanly from knoppix CD (3.8.1 on my desktop) I can surf the internet but not connect trough SSH to my laptop (crossover) so I connected the two computers crossover assigning the laptop 192.168.0.3, my desktop 192.168.0.2 starting SSH service fyping fish://192.168

and now no internet anymore. I tried to set up DHCP again for my eth1 but that doesn't work anymore. And I think that's really weird. eth1 is going to the internet, I change eth0 and bang, no internet anymore from eth1 ???????

Also I want to share my internet connection on the laptop. How should I do that.

Can anybody explain me what I should fill in in the knoppix wizard for eth devices, or is there more work to be done

Wannes Smet

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi I have a small network now...
I suggest that all of your problems would be resolved by adding a small inexpensive home DSL/cable router and letting it set up each system by DHCP rather than trying to use connection sharing, nultiple NICs and crossover cables.

wannessmet
05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I do not have enough cables for that.

But can anybody tell me how I should do this, an not how you suggest to do it the other way. because this is how I want to do it. It has be possible.

But thanks anyway

Wannes