PDA

View Full Version : External USB Linksys Wireless-B Network adapter question

cdgeorge
05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
I am 'totally' new to Linux, hence why I am posting this question in this forum. So here's hoping for a successful trip down the open source route with this being my very first post about an issue.

I have read the book about the basics, I am IT literate anyway, but saying that no nothing at all about any form of Linux / Unix, so do not know the command lines to use, or even how to get to the command line interface (I am happy with DOS command line however).

I want to prove to myself - and others - that I can live without the total dependancy on Windows, so downloaded what I thought was the best Linux to start with - Knoppix. So, here's my first problem...

I am using wireless to connect to the Internet via a Linksys WAG54G and external USB Linksys network adapter. Now the basic book says that Knoppix is built around Ethernet as the main LAN connection, so is difficult to get working with external USB devices. However, I know you experienced *nix users will get me round this, but please explain for the first time how to do this in really easy baby like steps - especially if I need to use the *nix command line - it would be useful to understand the commands you suggest I execute.

Once you have helped me to solve this, I won't feel quite so helpless when faced with Linux for the first time knowing that people like you are out there to explaing things clearly until I 'click' into action under my own steam.