PDA

View Full Version : 15Mb for /ramdisk is waste mem for my 22Mb RAM

Dominik
04-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone !!
I wish ask about /ramdisk which is mountpoint for /dev/shm.Is it possible to reduce size from 15Mb (22Mb full memory) to, let say 7 or 8 Mb ? 15Mb is such a waste of memory since I use only 1 or 2 Mb of space in /ramdisk.
Is it possible to reduce size after boot(I mean not to hav write a new "special changed" CD).
Any advise are wellcome.Thank You for listening me.
p.s. i wrote this message with links so if something is wrong: sorry :)

brodders
04-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Quite agree.

tarring off a complete partition for backup, drive 1 to drive 2 ... was unusually slow.

Has the fact that the ramdisk has gone & eaten vast majority of ram anything to do with this??

My system has a knoppix.img "partition" for home on disk, so I don't see why of 512M ram on my PC the ramdisk home needs over 400M. top says that ram is very full with less then 5M free whilst the tar was running.

Can't see any boot time parameter to set or limit ramdisk size. Very odd given that a home partition CAN be defined. Shouldn't the ramdisk rules be different if there IS a home partition??

Of course, if unused ramdisk was swapped out, releasing ram - that would be good (but rather complex) & leave me barking up the wrong tree.

Whats the skinny on this??

?:^)brodders

Wirf
04-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Don't trust top when it comes to memory usage. Top counts the diskcache as memory in use and because linux tries to cache as much as it can, for performance reasons, memory is allmost allways "full"

try "free -m" and look at the second row