PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix turned off the PC... forever?

matteofb
04-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi... :cry:

here's the problem:

I was tryng to repair some win xp problems... I booted the system with knoppix 3.1... Nothing to do: knoppix halted on before loading GUI and returned to the prompt.

When I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot, Knoppix sent the TERM signal and the KILL signal to all processes. Then has shutted down the PC.

The problem is that the computer doesn't turn on again! The motherboard is absolutely off! WHAT CAN I DO!? I tried to unplug the power supply, to press several times the poer on button and the reset button... but nothing!

please help me, the pc isn't mine| :(

Thanks

Matteofb

garyng
04-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Does the fan turns on, keyboard light or any light is on ?

probono
04-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Please post exactly what computer that is.

matteofb
04-14-2003, 07:28 PM
When I press the power button, nothing happens: no fan starts (the power supply fan too), no light blinks... absolutely nothing...

Only when I un-plug the power connector on the back-side of PC I can hear a little little little noise of electric tension that is going to shut down...

nothing else.

The computer is a PENTIUM IV 1.70 (boxed) on a Mobo based on the 845 chipset. Audio and Modem AC'97. G-Force MX 64 Mb Video Board, 40 Gb Samsung HDD, 256 Mb Ram DDR, a DVD player (now un-plugged) and a CD-Recorder PLEXTOR 48/24/48A. 250 W power supply.

that's all... thanks for your time! :cry:

Matteo

rickenbacherus
04-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Break out a multimeter and test the power supply.

VeeDubb
04-14-2003, 09:08 PM
I'd also test the power supply. Not only does your description match a dead power suply, but 250w is TINY for a p4 system, it should be a 350 or a 431w for the description you described.. Especialy one with multiple drives and a BIG video card. I'm surprized it would ever run. It wouldn't take much of an anomily to kill the power supply in that case.

Viro
04-15-2003, 09:33 AM
I don't know about you guys, but we seem to have a lot of people here with dead computers after running Knoppix.

Just check out the past threads in the Hardware Support section and this section. Wonder if there's a link?

matteofb
04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Ok, there's another user that talks about the same problem in the forum... some posts ago...

And "rock" says to him to do this:

Have you tried to pull the power cord or shut off power to the atx power supply with a power strip? That's what I had to do on a new P-IV Dell.

He tried and the system started again.

But, I don't understand: what's a "power strip"? (probably it's a problem of mine because of my poor english knowledges... :oops: )

please, can someone explain this solution to me?

thank you,

teo

RockMumbles
04-15-2003, 02:52 PM
what's a "power strip"?

A power strip is an AC extension cord with a multiple outlet box (ususlly 4 to 6 outlets) and a switch, so you can plug in your computer, monitor, printer, speakers, etc, into one place and switch it off with one switch.

For some reason on newer Dell computers you have to completely shut down the power to the power supply to be able to reboot the computer, just turning off the power switch on front of the computer just powers down the computer but still leaves the computer's power supply powered and unfortunately non-functionaly after running knoppix.

HTH

rock

god
04-15-2003, 05:31 PM
I can attest to dells beeing screwy when it comes to rebooting after knoppix errors. Most of my problems were solved by a) turning of legacy support in the bios, and b) compleatly bleeding the power after i shut down. (unplug, and hold the power button on for 5-10 seconds) replug and reboot.

Dave_Bechtel
04-15-2003, 11:23 PM
--My feeling is that there are a few computer vendors out there selling crappy boxes (with crappy BIOSes) that aren't compatible with Linux. Knoppix just sheds light on the problem.

--Probably an effect of cost-cutting.

I don't know about you guys, but we seem to have a lot of people here with dead computers after running Knoppix.

Just check out the past threads in the Hardware Support section and this section. Wonder if there's a link?