PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a Linux file server

ckapsl
05-13-2005, 03:00 AM
So I have decided to build an inexpensive Linux-based file server, and am looking around for sufficient hardware.

I came across this PC kit from Tiger Direct which seems to be a bargain ($99):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1417186&sku=P459-2000%20%20C&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM887%%merge%20members_.listcode%%

I will need to add hard drives and (I think) a basic video card, but it seems inexpensive and expandable down the road. I will probably start with a single EIDE drive and add on an SATA controller + drives as time goes by.

So my questions:
a) Do you see any hardware that is missing from the list, or that is known to be problematic with Linux?

b) I am planning on Linux Debian + Enterprise Volume Management System + Samba. The clients will be all Windows based. Any ideas for software configuration?

UnderScore
05-13-2005, 05:50 AM
I have not used many PC Chips systems, but of the ones I have used, well frankly, they sucked. At the core of that system is a PC Chips motherboard & is the very bargain basement mobo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still don't trust PC Chips.

Here is a system I just spec'ed up at Newegg.com. It is a bit more expensive than what you were looking at. But I can verify that I am using that very same motherboard in not 1 but 2 Linux systems. Now if this system is just a personal toy type system, then feel free to buy either the tiger or the Newegg parts.

CPU Thermal Paste / Grease -
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: Ceramique
$5.99

Motherboard - ASRock K7S41GX Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: K7S41GX
$44.99

Fan & Heatsink - SPIRE 5F271B1L3 80mm Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink for Socket A - Retail
5F271B1L3
$9.99

RAM Memory- pqi POWER Series 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD3456UOE - Retail
Model #: MD3456UOE
$18.75

CPU Processor -AMD Duron 1.8 Applebred 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model DHD1800DLV1C - OEM
Model #: DHD1800DLV1C
$46.99

Subtotal: $126.71
Shipping: $18.39 to fortworth TX
Total: $145.10

However if this system is supposed to be a full time server, then you are better off buying even more quality reliable parts.

got-apex.com is a coupon & deal site. They have coupons for PC makers frequently. Get a new system with warranty for under $400 and save your self some support headaches. Every once in a while, dell has a deal on an entry level server for under $600, usually about $540. Dell server, Dell parts, Dell waranty = less headaches. As a sysadmin that must keep 100+ unix & linux systems running, that is my recommendation.