PDA

View Full Version : Create Knoppix Live-CD from an installed Debian

Miguel
04-14-2003, 05:26 PM
I wonder if it is possible to create a Knoppix CD out of an installed Linux (debian) system, since that would be a shorter path to my customized Knoppix than to start modifying the original Knoppix (specially since I want to remove/change a lot of things in order to have space for the software I need)

If this is possible, does somebody know where to find a HOWTO?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

god
04-14-2003, 05:35 PM
doubt it....

MattT
04-14-2003, 09:36 PM
If you don't want to spend a lot of time removing programs from the original Knoppix you can always start with one of these
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations
Trying to use a normal Debian install isn't impossible but it would be like reinventing Knoppix.

Miguel
04-14-2003, 10:35 PM
I thought that maybe the core of knoppix (the compression, the automatic hardware detection, etc) could be simply added to a normal debian in order to get something a la Knoppix. If this could be done in an efficient way it would be very nice :-)

I already had a look at the existing costumizations and only one is based on Gnome (its a matter of taste :-)), but its link is pointing me to the main webpage of a college <!?>. I guess they are updating their page.

Ghandalfar
04-14-2003, 10:40 PM
build the list of all packages on your system. Compare it to the one in knoppix. Remove the packages that are not in your system. Sync /etc/apt/sources.list and package versions. There are already written scripts that can do that for you.

Then copy your /home/username to /etc/skel and you should be almost done.

A. Jorge Garcia
04-15-2003, 12:25 AM
I was under the impression that this is how Klauss got mixed up in all of this!

Regards,

eadz
04-15-2003, 01:28 AM
It is possable, just not very easy.

I tried once, and got to the stage of a working text only knoppix, but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

The steps I took were basicly dpkg-repack all the knoppix debs, and installing them on a bare debian install. Then you comress that ect and go on as usual. But it will be very hard to get everything working exactly as well as Knoppix does. Also what is the point?

nicklaser
04-16-2003, 01:40 PM
You wanna do a job Klaus did sever years ago? eahn?

krung
04-18-2003, 07:12 PM
i want to do the same stuff.

i found some people traying to make out of the konppix specific packages some debian packages - i think they are pretty serious. the idea is just download with apt-get the right packeges - make an iso and burn your system on a disc.

their discussion starts here: http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-March/002143.html

perhaps i join them ..

martin krung