PDA

View Full Version : Network card wont work on boot

fweeee
05-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello,

I have a weird problem.

I have just installed knoppix (Well, KnoppMyth - the knoppix distribution with the PVR software pre-installed). It all works fine, except for one thing. Whenever I reboot, the network card wont work.

If I use the command netcardconfig under root, it comes back to life. (I dont even have to enter in the details - they are already there, I just hit enter enter enter).

If I use the /etc/init.d/networking restart or /etc/init.d/networking start commands, they also do the trick, my network card pops back to life.

If I run the ifconfig command (before I have brought the network card back to life), it gives me no information about eth0, only about lo.

I have tried the steps at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12926 , and these have not helped.

I'm kind of a linux newbie, so I dont know which log files I should be checking for more information. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
...I have just installed ....... Whenever I reboot, the network card wont work..
You might want to read through the hdd install forum. There are many reports there of the network card no longer working after a HDD install, and some resolutions too. If memory servers right the most common solution is some sort of permission issue, but I don't really remember the details. It is a very common problem when installing to hard drive though (works OK from CD, right?)