PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with wireless and ethernet.....

yugpatel
04-14-2003, 06:08 PM
I have HP ZE4101 with built in ethernet(national semiconductor DP83815) and Netgear PCMCIA MA401 wireless card. I am running KNOPPIX 3.2(4-10-2003 build) from CDROM(boot). Here is the brief description of problem.

1) With wireless card (PCMCIA), plugged in, boot fails but if I use nopcmcia, boots fine. How to solve this so that I can use wireless card? I tried to follow instructions provided by someone on this forum but can not execute "rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts".

2) While connecting to LAN via ethernet, I get error that DHCP failed or something. I tried KNOPPIX->Network card configuration, it opens another window and does DHCP broadcast and then says it failed, hit enter to exit. My internet gateway router is MR814. When I run KNOPPIX from my desktop, connected to the same MR814, it works fine but from laptop it does NOT work at all.

3) My NTFS partition are seen by KNOPPIX but its ready only. I think Linux can read NTFS but can not wite to it. Linux can read and write FAT32 if I am not wrong.

Can some one help with step by step instruction?[/code]

rickenbacherus
04-17-2003, 03:33 AM
I have HP ZE4101 with built in ethernet(national semiconductor DP83815) and Netgear PCMCIA MA401 wireless card. I am running KNOPPIX 3.2(4-10-2003 build) from CDROM(boot). Here is the brief description of problem.

1) With wireless card (PCMCIA), plugged in, boot fails but if I use nopcmcia, boots fine. How to solve this so that I can use wireless card? I tried to follow instructions provided by someone on this forum but can not execute "rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts".

Did you do it as root? How do you do that?http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing I can't say one way or the other if that will fix your problem. I don't have a wireless card, but I would definitely make sure that's what you really want to do first. Maybe try some other options before you rm anything!

2) While connecting to LAN via ethernet, I get error that DHCP failed or something. I tried KNOPPIX->Network card configuration, it opens another window and does DHCP broadcast and then says it failed, hit enter to exit. My internet gateway router is MR814. When I run KNOPPIX from my desktop, connected to the same MR814, it works fine but from laptop it does NOT work at all.

ifconfig -a
Got I.P.?

cat /proc/pci
Got conflicts?

Which and in what sequence have you used these in? (besides just nopcmcia) http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes
I like pci=biosirq for this one.

3) My NTFS partition are seen by KNOPPIX but its ready only. I think Linux can read NTFS but can not wite to it.
Yes & no. For a more detailed explaination go here:www.google.com/linux

Linux can read and write FAT32 if I am not wrong.
You are not.

Can some one help with step by step instruction?[/code]

search box in upper right hand corner

As always - post back with results please. :ccol:

99er
07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
yugpatel-
Did you get it working? I have an alomst identical situation-

A HP ze4300 notebook computer and a Linksys WPC11 (v. 3) wireless card. When I try to boot Knoppix with the wireless card insterted, the computer hangs while booting. When I inserted after the computer has booted, the card is not recognized. I've tried cardconfig from the Knoppix menu and also the other suggestions I found when searching this forum, but no luck.

Just hoping that yugpatel (or anyone else!) figured it out.

Thanks!

senome
07-27-2003, 01:28 AM
This problem seems to exist on HP zeXXXX series laptops with the AMD processor (the Intel is apparantly fine). I've heard that it's fixed in the 2.5 kernel so I'm in the process of a knx-install (I'll upgrade my Knoppix soon :) and then I'll be on to a kernel upgrade to see if I can make my PCMCIA work.