PDA

View Full Version : Booting w/ CD

Sparky24
05-13-2005, 11:24 PM
I ofcourse am a newbie so excuse my newbieness. I'm trying to just boot off of the CD to check it out but I keep getting "ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INTIAL RAMDISK!" when i'm in the middle of booting. Anybody have any suggestions of a solution?

Newb Sparky24

tonyvfield
05-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I also have the same problem and are new to Linux. Please guys spare a thought for use guys trying to get going. Give us a pointed

Chaos5lw
05-14-2005, 11:30 PM
im a n00b to and kant get the boot cd to boot, im tryin 2 use a live CD as the comp im tryin 2 run it on dont have a HDD. i get errors like:

1)
scsi0: error on channel 0, id0, lun0 CDB 0x30 00 00 00 40 00

2)
Raw sense data: 'some numbers'.
I/O Error: dev 0b:00, sector 21780

3)
Cloop: Read Error at pos: 'some numbers' in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix 6557 bytes lost

4)
Cloop: error -5 uncompressing block 774 'some numbers' /linuxrc: /knoppix/bin/ln: I/O Error

Number 2 normally just repeats untill knoppix gives up trying to load.

Anyone got ne ideas why thats happenin?

Harry Kuhman
05-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Anyone got ne ideas why thats happenin?
Did everyone reporting this problem confirm that they had a good download by checking the md5 sum before burning? And did you burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x? I do these two important things, and I've never seen the problem you all seem to have, my Knoppix CD's boot fine on 4 different computers (3.8.1 does have some other problems on one of the systems, but I never see what you people are reporting).

Chaos5lw
05-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Did everyone reporting this problem confirm that they had a good download by checking the md5 sum before burning? And did you burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x? I do these two important things, and I've never seen the problem you all seem to have, my Knoppix CD's boot fine on 4 different computers (3.8.1 does have some other problems on one of the systems, but I never see what you people are reporting).

i dont know about mine cause my friend burnt it as i dont have broadband, ill ask

justlearnin
05-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm getting the same error ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INTIAL RAMDISK! on my SONY Vaio laptop when I use the 3.8.1 or 3.8.2 to boot. When I use the CD on another PC it works fine so I know the CD is fine. The issue is how it acts with my laptop. What's really strange is that I can use Knoppix 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7 CD's and I have no problem with the laptop. It's only since trying to use the 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 that I am having problems.

Chaos5lw
05-15-2005, 09:21 PM
some more info, i am trying to run Knoppix 3.6, 2004-08-16

i even tried running the test cd thing and still got the same errors reported above, im gonna see if i kan borrow a cd from the it technicians at school as they have an official cd somewhere.

will let ya know if it helps...

Chaos5lw
05-19-2005, 09:21 AM
some more info, i am trying to run Knoppix 3.6, 2004-08-16

i even tried running the test cd thing and still got the same errors reported above, im gonna see if i kan borrow a cd from the it technicians at school as they have an official cd somewhere.

will let ya know if it helps...

Managed to get a Knoppix 3.8.1 and now my system boots fine, the problem i am now having is loading my saved config files. I have tried now with 2 Disks, freshly formatted with Knoppix (One formatted DOS, this other formatted exi2) and saved the config files to them.

I go to boot my system and enter the cheatcode "floppyconfig" and boot, everything is fine until it gets to loading the config files and i get "Could not autodetect filesystem" and it then asks for a password and stops booting.

This happens with both disks...